Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are deer game or vermin?

Are deer game or vermin?

I have some land that I could stalk on but currently the owners do not have the game shooting rights! They want me to shoot the deer but we are unclear if I can
    All info appreciated

they are both, depends on numbers and management plan

This is a legal minefield, ref needing a 'game' licence to shoot deer, but for the purposes of the Game Acts legally they are not game. See here:

sunday shooting - Page 3

BUT, to answer your question, usually where shooting rights are retained e.g. by an estate, deer are included with the game rights. The owner needs to check his paperwork to know for sure. Who does have the game rights?

if they are vermin does that mean I can legally shoot them with my .17HMR?!.......

The title is misleading... what he really means is "Are deer included with game shooting rights?". Vermin doesn't really come into it.

I would say deer do not come under game shooting rights if the land owner wants you to shoot them then do so if you have the correct guns etc

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I would say deer do not come under game shooting rights if the land owner wants you to shoot them then do so if you have the correct guns etc
    Very good answer!

Least you know what I mean, cheers

The shooting of deer lies with the 'occupier' of the land, not the owner or landlord. Quite specific in the Deer Act. 'The occupier, their immediate family or someone employed by them'. Some big estates were very pleased when this changed, it stopped some very big compensation claims from tenants, the same claims which are now made where 1000s of pheasants damage arable crops.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    This is a legal minefield, ref needing a 'game' licence to shoot deer, but for the purposes of the Game Acts legally they are not game. See here:

sunday shooting - Page 3

BUT, to answer your question, usually where shooting rights are retained e.g. by an estate, deer are included with the game rights. The owner needs to check his paperwork to know for sure. Who does have the game rights?
    It is a difficult one, the previous land owner kept them but he doesnt shoot it anymore
    The new land owner is in process of getting game rights but he says it's going to be a long process,