Thread: Dried Rusk

Dried Rusk

I've just got some yeastless rusk from Bushwear, never used it in sausages before.
    Do you soak it before using it and how much do you use?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Bambislayer

If I was at home I could grab the instructions from Weschenfelder and let you know for sure, but if you check their website you add it to the sausage mix/seasoning and then add water http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/yeastless-rusk-p-77.html

I was reading the recipe last night in preparation for today's veni-sausage-fest and I'm pretty sure the only thing you have to prepare are the casings. I can PM you the detailed instructions this evening if you like?

willie_gunn

bambislayer

Taken 5 mins out from the sausage-making and double-checked the Weschenfelder instructions:

1. Mince the meat through a 6mm plate and add seasoning
    2. Add half the cold water and mix until the water is absorbed into the meat (20-30 seconds)
    3. Add the remaining cold water and mix vigorously until the mixture is sticky & moist
    4. Add the rusk and mix well
    5. Mince the whole batch again if necessary through a 10mm or 6mm plate, depending upon preference (coarse or fine)
    6. Fill out the pre-soaked casings

Hope this helps.

willie_gunn

The way i was shown was:
    1 Put all the water into a container and add the seasoning and mix,
    2 Add all the rusk mix and leave to dry,
    3 Once this is dry crumble up and mince the meat into it,
    4 Mix thoroughly and mince again,
    5 Stuff your pre soaked hog casings.

I was shown this by my father who was a butcher for 50 years !

Fletcher

Thanks for this. I'm doing all my venison sausages this morning so you're info could not have been more timely.

I'd certainly prefer to follow 'real' experience where possible so I'll use your fathers instructions and let you know how it goes.

willie_gunn

Fletcher

The instructions worked really well. We spent the morning mincing up the venison and pork belly, meanwhile soaking the rusk and seasoning with the water. We then mixed everything up together and put it back through the mincer, finally casing up about 4 kilos of small sausages, 3 kilos of larger "bangers" and about a kilo we left as mincemeat.

We had some of the smaller sausages for supper and they were excellent, so we're well pleased with the result.

Many thanks again for your father's instructions!

willie_gunn

Many thanks for all your help, will get going with the sausages nxt wk end.

I use pinhead rusk form scobiesdirect. I mix all my herbs and spices with it whilst dry and then add the eqivalent VOLUME of water which is pretty much double the weight. I use about 5% rusk in my bangers which is just enough to help bind the meat but not too much so they become 'fluffy' and cheap tasting. I also use cooking bacon instead of fat or belly pork as it is firmer, cheaper, imparts a taste of its own, and negates the need to add any salt as there is enough in the bacon. It also gives me a means of 'traceability' for food business purposes if you get it in the packs from tescos or similar. I have an awesome recipe for chilli sausages which I must get round to typing out and posting!

Monkey Spanker

Many thanks. I would definitely like to see that recipe.
    We thought that, having tried the sausages using a 'standard' recipe, we'd then start experimenting. There were some good ideas in Hugh Fearnley-Eatitall's book, but we also thought we'd be creative. I'd definitely fancy trying some hotter chili sausages, so if you can post or PM the recipe I'd be keen to see it.

willie_gunn