Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 hmr or .22lr????

17 hmr or .22lr????

Hiya this has probably been covered before but i am wanting some opinions....
    I have friends who are telling me to put down for 17 and i have others telling me not to bother and go for a 22lr. I like 17 for the extra distance you get but i am not so bothered about the crack of the round or the wind issue. I like the 22 but it oesnt havethe range of the 17 but they are bad for ricochet issues. Anyone have any views on these????
    Cheers ben.

hi ben

its down to what you want not what your mates want ive had both and enjoyed using both if possible why not get both
    as they come into their own for different situations but i have read that 17 has been having ammo issues of late
    although i never had any with mine but the fellow i sold it to has had a few missfires due to the ammo he has been
    using i personly like my little mach 2 for rabbiting close up but i will be moving to 20 tac for longer stuff but thats
    just me go with what your heart tells you atb foxxer

Hi foxxer i can see the positives in having both bit what i dont want to happens is one rifle end up being left in the cabinet because tother see's all the action. Also i suppose its how deep my pockets are aswell!
    Atb ben

Get a sako quad then. I started with the .22 barrel and thought it was brilliant, then, as the rabbits started to become wary on my permission, I bought a .17hmr barrel. Its now all I use pretty much and I've (touch wood) had no problems with ammo. With just the barrel in the cabinet it doesnt take up much room and its easy to change back and reset the zero on the scope if needs be.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

It's horses for courses. I have both and use them both. Over the year, probably as much each other. .22 has a good variety of ammo. sub-sonic is useful. Also very low power cb longs in .22 are useful, like an air rifle on steroids. If you do a lot of vermin control both are useful. Comes down to whether your budget can stretch to them both. If only one I would go for the.22. Well that's my view. Sure others will have a different point of view.
    It's accuracy that kills.

A friend of mine had a Sako Quad and it was awful, 10 round mag would only opperate correctly with 7 in it, it was always jamming up and would frequently not eject spent rounds. It was not as accurate as my CZ so he now has a CZ.
    Tusker

22lr for me.

Weeman

Well having both is another option i think if i was to take that path i would get the same rifle in bpth calibres. Been looking at the cz 452 synthetic, used mi dads he got .22 16 inch barrel superb when in the motor. I might have to save a little bit longer then!!!
    Cheers lads

Quote Originally Posted by r judd View Post
    Hiya this has probably been covered before but i am wanting some opinions....
    I have friends who are telling me to put down for 17 and i have others telling me not to bother and go for a 22lr. I like 17 for the extra distance you get but i am not so bothered about the crack of the round or the wind issue. I like the 22 but it oesnt havethe range of the 17 but they are bad for ricochet issues. Anyone have any views on these????
    Cheers ben.
    You have identified the merits of each of them so go for both. I have the cz 452 16" in .17 & .22 atb Tim
    Last edited by timbrayford; 31-01-2012 at 08:17.

17 is my choice as the ricochet problem with the 22 made me nervous while rabbiting in an around livestock.