17 hmr or .22lr????

r judd

Hiya this has probably been covered before but i am wanting some opinions....
I have friends who are telling me to put down for 17 and i have others telling me not to bother and go for a 22lr. I like 17 for the extra distance you get but i am not so bothered about the crack of the round or the wind issue. I like the 22 but it oesnt havethe range of the 17 but they are bad for ricochet issues. Anyone have any views on these????
Cheers ben.

hi ben

its down to what you want not what your mates want ive had both and enjoyed using both if possible why not get both
as they come into their own for different situations but i have read that 17 has been having ammo issues of late
although i never had any with mine but the fellow i sold it to has had a few missfires due to the ammo he has been
using i personly like my little mach 2 for rabbiting close up but i will be moving to 20 tac for longer stuff but thats
just me go with what your heart tells you atb foxxer

Hi foxxer i can see the positives in having both bit what i dont want to happens is one rifle end up being left in the cabinet because tother see's all the action. Also i suppose its how deep my pockets are aswell!
Atb ben

Get a sako quad then. I started with the .22 barrel and thought it was brilliant, then, as the rabbits started to become wary on my permission, I bought a .17hmr barrel. Its now all I use pretty much and I've (touch wood) had no problems with ammo. With just the barrel in the cabinet it doesnt take up much room and its easy to change back and reset the zero on the scope if needs be.

It's horses for courses. I have both and use them both. Over the year, probably as much each other. .22 has a good variety of ammo. sub-sonic is useful. Also very low power cb longs in .22 are useful, like an air rifle on steroids. If you do a lot of vermin control both are useful. Comes down to whether your budget can stretch to them both. If only one I would go for the.22. Well that's my view. Sure others will have a different point of view. :)

A friend of mine had a Sako Quad and it was awful, 10 round mag would only opperate correctly with 7 in it, it was always jamming up and would frequently not eject spent rounds. It was not as accurate as my CZ so he now has a CZ.
Tusker

Well having both is another option i think if i was to take that path i would get the same rifle in bpth calibres. Been looking at the cz 452 synthetic, used mi dads he got .22 16 inch barrel superb when in the motor. I might have to save a little bit longer then!!!
Cheers lads

Hiya this has probably been covered before but i am wanting some opinions....
I have friends who are telling me to put down for 17 and i have others telling me not to bother and go for a 22lr. I like 17 for the extra distance you get but i am not so bothered about the crack of the round or the wind issue. I like the 22 but it oesnt havethe range of the 17 but they are bad for ricochet issues. Anyone have any views on these????
Cheers ben.
You have identified the merits of each of them so go for both. I have the cz 452 16" in .17 & .22 atb Tim:D

Last edited:
I have both and never really use the hmr.
.22 rimmy Is awesome if you learn how to shoot It.

It's simple.

What range do you shoot at?

If you shoot at up to 60/70 yards, get a .22LR.

If you shoot over 70 yards, get an HMR ;)

22rf first -cheap ammo and near silent with subsonics. Use high velocity ammo and you are good for 100 yds.

I can see the use of the 17 hmr or 22 rfmag, but they don't replace the 22 in my mind

Get a .17 Mach2 and have the best of both worlds. .17 performance but ammo near enough the same price as the .22

Ben

You have identified the merits of each of them so go for both. I have the cz 452 16" in .17 & .22 atb Tim:D

Tim's nailed it there - I also have both (same guns as Tim funnily enough!)...

They each have their benefits and pitfalls, so if you can get both then do so - I applied for my .22 for mid to long range rabbit, and my .17hmr for long rang rabbit/vermin and close range fox.

.22lr:
- Quiet
- cheap, accurate ammo
- plenty of power for rabbits but not a fox round
- if you learn your ranges you can easily do 100yds+

.17:
- Loud
- expensive ammo, prone to issues
- very powerful and suitable for fox at sensible ranges
- very flat out to 100+, 200yd shots achievable with practice

I like them both and would not want to lose either! - as the old saying goes "use the right tool for the job".

No real answer that you'll find here or anywhere else; depends where you're using it and what for!

Get a .17 Mach2 and have the best of both worlds. .17 performance but ammo near enough the same price as the .22

Ben

Hear accuracy is a bit naff with the Mach? - can't remember where I saw it but someone online had compared the mach to the HMR and concluded accuracy and knock down power was poor past 100yds?

Amazed that no one has pointed out the most important issue,, meat damage !!

Get a 22 lr, to fill the freezer !,, HMR is for all the macho boys that want the long shots, but 22 lr puts rabbit in the curry !! the HMR causes to much damage for my liking.
ATB

Back