Thread: Attracting Fallow

Attracting Fallow

A question about the best ways of getting Fallow deer to favour a particular area. I have a photography project planned for this spring and want to get some nice Fallow shots, in woodland, with nice back lighting. I have access to a wood land that regularly has sizable groups of deer (70+) around it. There is a track, accessible by 4x4, that does a loop around the woodland, that means that I can be in the north east / east side, concealed in a vehicle with the evening sun dipping in front of me and the wind likely to be in my face. The woodland is part of a keepered pheasant shoot, so there are often vehicles driving through it and stopping. So itís all worked out, but with one obvious piece missing, how to get the beasts where I want them!

Iíve read about using salt licks, peanut butter etc etc, but was wondering if any of you have any tips for me? I donít want to bait the area as such, as I think the Keeper would have something to say about me attracting animals off of neighbouring land, I would just like to set up an area that they favoured Ė any ideas?

John

I have often found that if I want Fallow to go to particular part of a field, or even in open woodland,
    that 3 or 4 pieces 2-3ft long of bright yellow or orange ribbon flapping, on a pole 3-4ft of the ground will bring them over.
    Deer are very inquisitive creatures, and generally just have to go and have a smell or looksee.
    Hope this works for you and that you get some photos.
    If you do put them on the site for us all to see.

Have a look at this webpage. I find maize brings Roe for a regular feed.
    How to Attract Deer | eHow.com
    David
    It's accuracy that kills.

Easy, sit out without your camera. That way you are guaranteed there will be dozens in your favoured spot.

How to Attract Deer | eHow.com
    Sorry missed the link
    It's accuracy that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I have often found that if I want Fallow to go to particular part of a field, or even in open woodland,
    that 3 or 4 pieces 2-3ft long of bright yellow or orange ribbon flapping, on a pole 3-4ft of the ground will bring them over.
    Deer are very inquisitive creatures, and generally just have to go and have a smell or looksee.
    Hope this works for you and that you get some photos.
    If you do put them on the site for us all to see.
    I watched a fallow play with a bright pink foil type balloon the other day!!

So I can imagine that the method you describe would also work.

Cheers

Ross

Feed of some type, but depends on which part of the country you are in and the time of year, salt licks are long term and takes a while for them to get hooked and its not that good, but a special local feed in the winter that you can put out will do the trick, and as long as no one is shooting them you'll eventually get results.

Thanks folks, some things to think about there, including a bright pink foil type balloon!!

I think you want to shoot them no no no