Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 23 month old GWP Dog.

23 month old GWP Dog.

Looking to gauge interest in my 23 month old GWP Dog "Peem"

Ive had him from 8 weeks, KC registered with full papers.
    I bought peem with a view as an all rounder for Deer, rough shooting and Pointing for my Hawks, unfortunately he is a very hard pup and the only thing he has really excelled at is finding Deer, which leaves me in a predicament needing a dog which will do a bit of everything.
    He lives indoors or out although may yelp if kennelled alone, works to the whistle and follows a good line and will sight point Roe in woodland. I think he could make a useful Deer dog in the right hands with plenty of work. A good home is much more important than money, please Pm any interest.

Good on you for being big enough to accept that this particular dog is not for you. All over the country there are dogs sitting in kennels that get little or no work because their owners are too proud/stubborn to rehome them.

We have now taken on three rescue/rehomed GSP's, our latest one has had five homes in five years, he's working out fine with us but then I take him out with me all day every day, even when he's not working (most of the time) at least he's out and about.

Each dog that we've had has come with a tale of why's and what-if's but (as long as excessive aggression is not involved) I don't care what the story or history is.

Best of luck, i'm sure he'll work out great for someone.

Glyn.

Thanks, i think he will do well in the right hands.

He looks like a braw wee dog, shame you are rejecting him as i couldn't give any dog away.

I am a firm believer in trying to match a dog to your own temperament. All my dogs are worked in one way or another , and if for some reason they don't fit in, then I have no qualms about passing them on to a well suited home. Billy happens to be a friend of mine and I know he has agonised over parting with this dog. The dog is far from being underweight and is certainly not miserable. The last part of the original post says it all for me " A good home is more important than money "

Nelson.

" A good home is more important than money "

+1 well said

Quote Originally Posted by Bmcphers83 View Post
    Looking to gauge interest in my 23 month old GWP Dog "Peem"

Ive had him from 8 weeks, KC registered with full papers.
    I bought peem with a view as an all rounder for Deer, rough shooting and Pointing for my Hawks, unfortunately he is a very hard pup and the only thing he has really excelled at is finding Deer, which leaves me in a predicament needing a dog which will do a bit of everything.
    He lives indoors or out although may yelp if kennelled alone, works to the whistle and follows a good line and will sight point Roe in woodland. I think he could make a useful Deer dog in the right hands with plenty of work. A good home is much more important than money, please Pm any interest.
    I can sympathise with you a touch Bmcphears83..........GWPs are hard work and from my experiance need to be either worked hard or at the least exercised hard daily to keep them managable...........My particular bitch has at times been very trying to train, and its only now that i am seeing the fruits of my labour. Some lines seem to be hard mouthed {mine} although saying that some of her litter mates are not. I don't mind the hard mouth as she is used mostly for stalking and will quite happily secure a roe for me. They are great dogs.......had I not just taken on a Patterdale I would have been tempted !!!!

A beautiful looking dog with an innocent face. He does look a bit puny to me, but my old GWP looked like that at his age, but he soon put on a lot of muscle when exercised hard every day. They can be real hard work but come around to your way of doing things if you keep with it. I lost my old dog just before Christmas but can still remember how hard he was as a pup, that's why I am putting off getting another one.

Good luck with finding this wee chap a home, got to say parting with a hound is a hard decision to make and I applaud you for recognising that he isn't for you, and wanting to find him the right home.

Your right it is not about the money it's about the right home.

Best of luck in finding him the right future.

I sold 2 lab pups (litter sisters) to a couple, although I did suggest that they were taking on a bit of work with 2 of same age for training etc unless they really knew what they were doing. I was told that they had had several dogs over the years and were comfortable with their decision. The labs were very well bred working dogs, from parents who had undergone all the appropriate checks and worked probably at least 2 days a week during season. This home however was not a working home, but a large country house with wealthy owners who would no doubt spoil them but treat them well. All I asked was that should they struggle at any point to give me a shout.

2 months later the call came about taking me up on that offer. I visited and showed them how to correct one or two small faults. When they were 6 months old, she was on the phone again in such a state I thought one of the dogs had died. Transpires that her husband had taken enough of damage to the house and basically said that it was either him or the dogs. I actually think she considered that for a while longer than he was happy with...

Anyway, result was I picked them up and it honestly looked like she was going through a bereavement! Probably the hardest decision she has ever made in her life TBH, she absolutely adored those pups.

They were re homed through a professional gund-dog trainer friend of mine to working homes and because of the blood in them after a bit of training they never looked back.

It has nothing to do with taking a dog on for life or considering if it is the right breed to start with. They made a mistake, suffered deeply for it but the dogs ended up living a very happy life...

Hope you find a good home for him.

Oh, and lets not forget how many pro or semi pro gun dog trainers there are out there who will keep back 2 or 3 pups from a litter and sell on the ones at 12-18 months trained or part trained they feel may not make trialing dogs.
    Last edited by jamross65; 01-02-2012 at 22:27.