Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ear wax

ear wax

my seven month old springer has brown stinking wax in both ears have cleand them out but it keep comeing back anyone know what i can do to stop it recurring.

Wish I knew, My cocker is 10 and he has had it on and off all his days, I use a gentle baby wipe to clean them out, but it always seems to re occur

my gsp has problems with that have to really keep on top of it i started with with spot ons ,advocate then after its all gone i started using thornite powder once a week it has cleared now and hes getting back to normal .thornite powder off fleabay you can do it everyday twice a day depending on how bad it is just keep clearing the debris away,atb wayne the thornite does work from the start and a preventative

Ear Wax

Quote Originally Posted by supersport View Post
    my seven month old springer has brown stinking wax in both ears have cleand them out but it keep comeing back anyone know what i can do to stop it recurring.
    Excess ear wax is a response to an irritant - foreign material or infection. Mites are very common in younger animals, but can't be excluded from older ones. An ear swab is a good start - looking for mite eggs and a yeast called malassezia. The latter is very common and is often associated with other skin problems - particularly around the ears, face, neck, armpits, groin and perianal area.

Many vets feel that a amnky ear is a sign of an overall skin complaint, often allergy based. Spaniels are a bit prone to heavy grease in their coats so this can be a contributing factor.

So, get the ears checked. If no better, get them checked again and make sure all flea control is up to date.

As regards the powder, I wouldn't use it, what ever apparent good results are reported. If any of the powder gets in the ear canal, this will cause further irritation.

I think you'll find that it is a Springer thing mate,but I use this,mind you if it is mites then you need a prescription from a vet for an ear drop medicine.

CleanAural Dog Ear Cleaner-Hyperdrug

Martin

If it smells it needs to see a vet. There is some infection/infestation going on. No arguing.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

My 7 month old springer has this, and vet prescribed CanAural. (sp?)
    Unfortunately, I've finished off the bottle of medicine, and the pup is still suffering a bit, although no longer shaking his head. I don't want to put the stuff into him for the rest of his life... should I go back to vet, or should I hope it sorts itself out?

My vizsla bitch has this also. Vet says its an allergy. Ruby would scratch her outer ear raw at times. I clean it out with a baby wipe and appy some carruba(spelling) drops

Quote Originally Posted by bridget_whips_in View Post
    My 7 month old springer has this, and vet prescribed CanAural. (sp?)
    Unfortunately, I've finished off the bottle of medicine, and the pup is still suffering a bit, although no longer shaking his head. I don't want to put the stuff into him for the rest of his life... should I go back to vet, or should I hope it sorts itself out?
    Get yourself some Easotic or CleanAural ear cleaner and give them a good flush out every other day for a week. If the ears are still bothering after that then go back. Sometimes even once the infection/infestation is cleared there is a lot of wax, debris etc that needs cleaning out.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Amazon seems to have all sorts of these products! Thank you for advice.