Simmons whitetail classic 1.5-5 x 20

boar & deer

has any one use one of these i have herd good things about them and am thinking at getting one just to practice with on the .308 but i did think they were for air rifles

I had one a little while back it was mounted on a .357 carbine. At first I was very happy with it, the clarity of the scope was very impressive for the cost (about £100). Then after about 18 months to two years of use the scope went all to pot and wouldn't hold zero. The scope was replaced under the guarantee. I know of two other shooters who had similar scopes mounted on carbines and who had similar problems. It seems that there was a common fault with this scope hence the model has been replaced by a more robust design. It's a pity because these scopes are very popular for use on carbines such as the marlin and they are a nice neat design with reasonable optics for use on the range.

I have a Leupold 1.5-5 x20 on my 9.3x74 rifle, a much better scope in my opinion but unfortunately I had a problem with that one also and it had to go back for repair. I do however like the Leupold and will probably stick with it, that is unless I come across a Meopta of similar size at the right price. I rather like Meoptas and have three of them, they seem bombproof.

I to like meopta but i think they have got to deer which leupold have you got i have been looking at the new 1.2-4x20 fire dot which looks good but will have a look in dortmund at the weekend

It's a European 30 that now sits on top of my Chapuis. The fire dot wasn't about when I bought my Leupold, a pity because they look quite good.

Correction - scope is a 1.25-4x20 and not as I originally posted.

Last edited:
iv had one on a rimfire for the past three years i think its a great scope but not sure about putting one on a full bore there cheep to buy second hand so suck it and see
has any one use one of these i have herd good things about them and am thinking at getting one just to practice with on the .308 but i did think they were for air rifles

Back