Thread: .308 Win Reloading

.308 Win Reloading

Hello All,

I have a sako 75 hunter in .308win with a Wildcat predator moderator and have developed a brilliant load for it, i can achieve a "clover" group at 100yds
    this load consists of;
    150gr Hornady SST
    Lapua .308 brass
    federal 210 Match primers
    46grains of Vihtavuori N140
    Bullets seated on the canuiller (not sure on spelling)

However besides this sounding like i'm singing my own praises and bragging. i do have a serious question which i hope many of you will contribute towards solving
    Besides this being a very accurate round and some might say " more accuracy than you need for stalking purposes"
    i have recently taken on a new Permission with Fallow and Muntjac, shot placement is purely for the production of Venison,
    as all carcases are sold to local game dealer via the owner of land.

So as i'm not taking cavity shots i went to local RFD and bought myself a box of Norma 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips,
    tried them the later on that day and no word of a lie, the grouping was awful! a right mess might have well have thrown the rounds at the target myself the group was roughly 3 inches and no consistency what so ever bullets hitting high, low, left, right everywhere.
    Rubbish!!
    Chambered and tried my Homeloads after putting up fresh target, ( shot conditions the same) spot on!! could'nt have wished for a nicer group thus confirming zero, scope is tight, mounts are tight all the variables one might think of!
    The Norma's just would'nt group tidy!

My Question being;

What would happen if i used my same load (which i know works) but instead of seating the usual Hornady 150gr sst bullets i seated the 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips ??
    what i'm trying to get at is, this load shoots brilliantly and both bullets being 150gr (ballistic coefficient not important)
    surely the result should be the same regardless of Sst or Ballistic tip
    Both bullets have a polymer tip, both bullets have a canuiller, both bullets are seated in case on the canuiller.

Will this produce a Good round/Good grouping just a change in bullet yet the same weight??

Thanks to all who read and Answer
    Steve

Why??? surely you are better to stick with the SST. It sounds like your load development is done!! If the bullet performance of the SST suits you then stick with it

S

Steve

Only you can answer the question by trying things out yourself. However, note that although the bullets nominally weigh the same, they will differ in a number of key measures including diameter, length, BC and bearing surface.

In this field, experimentation wins 99 times out of a 100.

Good luck. JCS

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Why??? surely you are better to stick with the SST. It sounds like your load development is done!! If the bullet performance of the SST suits you then stick with it

S
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post

S
    I agree. What makes the word "Nosler" worth all that work? Stick with what works and get disgustingly familiar with it. It will do more towards killing deer than a "Nosler" bullet would. JMHO~Muir

I think in reality the theory might well work but you will only see by trying it in practice?

Am I missing something here, why would you not use the SST load? From Ballistic Studies:

The new 150 grain SST bullets really are outstanding when used on medium game. Furthermore, while the SST [is] sometimes finicky to load in the sevens regarding optimum accuracy, the 30 cal SST bullets tend to produce outstanding accuracy, regardless of variations in throat leade angles and twist rates from rifle barrel to barrel. The 150 grain SST is a violent performer, fast killing and effective out to 700 yards- for those who can read the wind effects on the .308 out to that range. The SST is best suited to game weighing up to 80kg (180lb) but will tackle game weighing around 120kg (246lb).
    Are you worrying that the bullet is too tough for munties?

sst

i would stick with these i have had good acuracy with sak 75 and sst in 243 and 308 best john h

Thank you to all who have taken the time to read and reply!!
    I am sticking with the load i have developed would be stupid not to with all the work i put into developing it also the level of accuracy i can achieve.
    Agreed The Hornady SST is a brilliant bullet which is why i chose it in the first place for my load.
    Besides that i simply dont have the money or time to start medalling and experimenting with a new load which might not even produce the goods anyway!
    i merely started this thread out of curiosity to try and find out what might be the outcome of such an experiment and to read opinions of other stalkers what the outcome might be

Special Thanks To Liamnjs that little snippet you quoted from " ballistic studies" was Great, very informational good to hear more about this Brilliant little bullet from Hornady