Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice pleas on FAC Air rifles

Advice pleas on FAC Air rifles

Hi

At work at the moment I use a brno .22 for shooting rabbits. It is so useless, that if I threw it at the rabbits, it wouild have more effect!!.

We are looking at a FAC Air rifle to replace it, Does anyone know what's on the market and ifso which ones are any good?? ( I don't know much about them and I'm not sure if I have asked this question before!)

many thanks

bb

What makes you think a FAC rated air rifle will do the job better than a 22lr? What is wrong with the BRNO, their 22 lr are always excellent in fact yours in the first I have heard of that is no good. Can you give us a bit more info about the BRNO's performance.?

John

I would like to know how a Brno .22 could be useless against rabbits myself! My Dear Cousin JayB called me on this post as he knows that I have been using a Brno #2 for 28 years now, with both iron sights and scopes, and have had nothing but praise for it. With it, I have killed more game than I can recall ranging from field mice to large (and aggressive) feral dogs. With a change of ammunition it will handle anything within reasonable scope for a .22LR. I recently used it for testing some new ammunition for Aguila out of Mexico because I knew it was such a steady, reliable performer. I'd sure like to give your rifle a once-over.

If you are thinking of a .177 calibe air rifle I can only tell you that in my limited experience with an RWS at 1000 fps, the killing power is in no way comparable with a .22 LR; even with "hunting" pellets. They just bled off speed and energy too fast. I think you might again be disappointed. ~Muir

Hi

Our rifle is a brno CZ 452-2E ZKM we are using Dynamit Nobel subsonic 2.6g-40gr with a Tasco 3-9x42 scope.

In the past we have tried Winchester subsonics, but they were the same. basically there umph in the rifle, 1bullet will not stop a rabbit at 25-40yds.

Could it be the trigger pull is not set at the correct lb?

bb

I have a CZ 452 and with Eley sub sonics I can shoot rabbits out to 100 yards no bother, my longest recorded rabbit kill is 110yards. Before anyone starts about wounded rabbits making off at those sort of distances, there are none. Shoot them in the head and that is it.

When you say the trigger pull is not set to the correct weight, what do you mean exactly?

Is the gun accurate?

Do you have a moderator fitted if so what is it like without the moderator?

John

I also have a CZ 452 fitted with a very old 3 - 9 x 40 scope and even older Parker Hale moderator. Using RWS subs it will drop rabbits all day long out to 100yds.

If you are sure you are hitting your target then it must be striking well off the kill zone allowing it to run off! In which case I think it's time to stop and get some practice in on some paper please!! At 100 yards subsonic ammunition will pass clean through a rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas
    If you are sure you are hitting your target then it must be striking well off the kill zone allowing it to run off! ( It doesn't) In which case I think it's time to stop and get some practice in on some paper please!!
    .22 is zeroed in and .22/250 stops them running off and I have not used the .22 for sometime, its too unreliable.

bb

You haven't really told us what the issue is Mate. These rifles are famous for their reliability, just see the surprised reactions above. Is the issue with accuracy or mechanical? What is the problem?

Hi. I too use the Brno. Its zeroed at 70yards. Got 350ish rabbits last year, no probs. Winchester ammo. It kills clean as you like, very few runners unless hit up the butt. Have also occasionally used my .22/250 and aside from being very expensive (for rabbits) it doesnt leave you with much rabbit afterwards Its certainly no good for getting rabbits for the pot.
    How far into timber does your bullet go? Just wonder if you are losing the explosive gases somewhere?

I dunno what the problem is; all that I know, it is has been hopeless since the day we bought it, on a target; the zeroing is fine, just like any other rifle at what ever distance.

Take it out into the field and its no use. the rabbits run away once they have been hit at a short distance. For long distances I just don't bother; its a waste of ammo and time, it just seems to have no power/umph?

The rifle is well maintained and cleaned after every use ( I am working on a coastal reserve) so its well looked after the sight is zeroed in, the correct ammunition is being used, the sight is not being/getting knocked between zeroing and being used. I just don't know whats wrong with it.

Also it has a moderator.

bb