Thread: Dead Roe

Dead Roe

I have just had two beaters days on a large estate and we came across 3 dead roe. The only one I saw myself was a yearling buck that was lying dead in its scrape, it was scoured. Another I saw from a distance lying against a hedgeside and had to take someone elses word that there was no visible injury/ cause of death. The third one I did not see. each one was probably a mile apart and no does had been shot near to each site in recent months, neither had any shot animals been lost. Seems a bit odd to lose animals in such a mild winter (so far.)

Could have died by eating a lot of wheat from a pheasant feeder. You would need to open them up to confirm this though.

esp. if there was aniseed, they seem to like that, which is not a good thing for a number of reasons.

seems like poisoning of some sort, otherwise they don't just keel over and die within such close proximity

IF there is alot of rape in the area, rape poisoning could be possible. Check out the Rape Poisoning thread under diseases and welfare. As Pip and PKL have said gorging on grain can cause scouring and poisoning. We had to carefull introducing barley to beef cattle as too much to quick can kill the animal. Unfortunately without seeing the carcass or a more detailed description of the animal's internal and external condition I can only guess, but I'm sure that some of the vets on SD will be able to give more possible causes.

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    Could have died by eating a lot of wheat from a pheasant feeder. You would need to open them up to confirm this though.
    ive seen this too

I have heard of acorns killing young when they eat too much. I have also been told of roe dying after being stung by wasps after treading on their nests, but too cold for them at the moment.