Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What we're up against...

What we're up against...

On another forum there's a chap who has applied for a pistol for humane dispatch. He is waiting for a decision and posting updates as it goes. As the thread has developed it has become clear that he has limited knowledge and experience but he's asking for advice, anyway that's beside the point.....
    The thread has now turned into a debate as to the need for a HD pistol by stalkers.
    FFS, if we can't convince fellow shooters, what chance have we of convincing the FLD?

"It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Si

I agree with the bit about having to convince fellow shooters but...

If he really does have limited knowledge and experience, what is he basing the need for one on? High numbers shot may mean increased chances of wounding, unlikely if he is inexperienced and looking for advice. Call outs for HD at roadside? The ground he stalks too difficult to follow up through shut in tree/forestry plant growth?

I am going through the same process with my application just now. But that is after 25 years of stalking, shooting good numbers, taking out paying guests, stalking over ground that makes following a wounded sika stag with a rifle impossible because of the growth, asked on occasion to HD at roadside and so on...

I never saw the need for one when I was starting out because the above reasons were not really an issue...

No, this chap probably just want's a pistol, he only has a .223 for roe and putting myself in his FEO's position, I would be wanting to see more experience. But, the general direction of the thread has steered away from the fact that this particular person lacks experience and a number of members think stalking is not good enough reason to apply.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

You only need to convince your self you really need one to do a job of work after that it don't matter what others think . If you are asking for help i am sure you really do not need one.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    You only need to convince your self you really need one to do a job of work after that it don't matter what others think . If you are asking for help i am sure you really do not need one.
    Amen,

Any chance of a link to said forum and post for those of us with to much time to kill at work??

airgunbbs but it's in the members only section

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    On another forum there's a chap who has applied for a pistol for humane dispatch. He is waiting for a decision and posting updates as it goes. As the thread has developed it has become clear that he has limited knowledge and experience but he's asking for advice, anyway that's beside the point.....
    The thread has now turned into a debate as to the need for a HD pistol by stalkers.
    FFS, if we can't convince fellow shooters, what chance have we of convincing the FLD?

I think that you have made a very good case here for firearms licensing to be handled by the shooting community and not by the police, food for thought? atb Tim

I just don't get why, when someone decides to apply for a pistol they get so much negative feedback from within our own ranks. Maybe it's just me, but if anyone feels they have a valid reason to own a pistol, I say go for it.... fill in a variation and see how you go and if the FEO thinks you don't have the experience, apply again in a few years.

Dont normally get involved, but as a stalker and and a (small) livestock farmer I guess I would have as good a chance as anyone. However I would not come on to a public forum and gob off about it as it must be obvious to anyone that some are using this reason as a 'work around'. The police who I believe can read, then might think about blocking a partially open door even to those who genuinely need one. My real concern is that those who abuse this simply make any future legislation (which I guess is inevitable) even more proscriptive.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Dont normally get involved,
    I'm glad you did

The police who I believe can read, then might think about blocking a partially open door even to those who genuinely need one
    Not really for the police to decide but I get where you're coming from.

My real concern is that those who abuse this simply make any future legislation (which I guess is inevitable) even more proscriptive.
    I don't see it like that, I believe that the more people who apply, the better chance of making them realise there is a place for handguns in recreational stalking.