Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prep Area

Prep Area

Been out looking at the garage and im gonna setup a Prep Area for when i bring back some venison and was looking for some ideas as to what i could do. I have some big ideas as to what im gonna do but was just wondering what everyone else had plus pics if possible.

Im going to half my garage which isnt used now for cars. (is any garage?)
    Redo all the floor repaint it all possible put up a new wall and door to separte the dirty garage side to the clan prep side. but the problem im having is deciding the best setup for actually preparing the carcass.

Frank

I use my garage at the moment but it is not perfect. I am eventually looking for a double garage.

In there I would have a coka cola fridge with a fan to circulate air(very important), then I would have a surface to prep and butcher the venison. After that an area for a slicer, mincer, and vac packer, then just next to that a freezer.

Job done, everyone happy and no more butchers bills apart from pork to make my sausages.

J

I use my garage at the moment but it is not perfect. I am eventually looking for a double garage.

In there I would have a coka cola fridge with a fan to circulate air(very important), then I would have a surface to prep and butcher the venison. After that an area for a slicer, mincer, and vac packer, then just next to that a freezer.

Job done, everyone happy and no more butchers bills apart from pork to make my sausages.

J

what surface do you guys use for cutting up the carcass. i have a worktop there just now but i have been looking for an extra long chopping board but cant find one anywhere.

fridge

Apologies franco for butting in but Jingzy do you know where to get second hand cola (etc) fridges from without them being silly money?

You could try here, not cheap if you can't collect it.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...em180320209793

jingzy: try lamb fat for your sausages makes a big difference the lamb fat isn't as greasy when there in the pan frying

Re: fridge

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog
    Apologies franco for butting in but Jingzy do you know where to get second hand cola (etc) fridges from without them being silly money?
    I've got a double door one with hanging rail that you can have for the price of a pint! It's 1m wide and works but is not too pretty. Most shops are glad to get rid of them for free when they get a bit shabby as it costs a lot to get commercial fridges de-gassed to dump them.
    I recently upgraded to a 'Foster' stainless commercial double door job. Cost 500 second hand but is absolutely huge and very robust. Could probably get about 6-8 large Sika or Fallow in at a push. Large reds are a struggle as they are just too bloody long! They have to go in two halves!
    A good space saving idea is to have a worktop that hinges and folds up against the wall so that your chest freezer can go underneath
    I use worktop called Maia which is a ceramic composite. Not cheap but cold as stone to work on. I also have a mains operated hoist which lifts up to 250kg which is bloody handy. I use my garage bit as the 'dirty' area and have a purpose built 'clean' utility room next to it with 3m worktop and commercial sized sink.

Re: fridge

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog
    Keep an eye open for shops/garages closing down and pop in and make an offer.

Quick Q for a Monkey Spanker

Hi monkey

Assume you're the same one on Airgun BBS - did you get an RTA call out this morning??

Be great to have a quick catchup/PM session

Might be interested in that fridge if you are semi serious?