Avon and Somerset lisencing department

swarovski

Recently I sent variation off for a 308.ive got a 30-06 and 25-06,308 mainly for target shooting,I did put down to use it for deer and foxes just in case I fancied taking it across the fields,I got a letter from f.a.d today,this is how it reads,I am writing to you in reference you application for the variation of your firearms lisince,you have requestd a .308 rifle and sound moderator for fox and deer management and also target shooting,as this would be your third deer caliber rifle I would be grateful if you could provide in writing a letter detailing your good reason for this additional firearm.

I filled out land useage form and all details of shooting club,club secretary's name and phone number etc etc,they seem to do anything to slow down or prevent you having a firearm,I've had firearms for over 13 years now,they do my head in.

I filled out land useage form and all details of shooting club,club secretary's name and phone number etc etc,they seem to do anything to slow down or prevent you having a firearm,I've had firearms for over 13 years now,they do my head in.

This is pretty standard stuff mate - normally they will telephone you rather than go to the effort of sending a letter - maybe they did call but you missed it?

The main reason you've run into this problem is the fact you are after two .30 cal rifles - your 30-06 uses the same heads as your proposed 308,
I have experience with this myself when I requested a 22-250 and a 223.
I spent over an hour and three phone calls speaking with the licensing department about why i wanted two .22 calibre centre fires.
Basically they can't get their head around the fact that they are different, because on the list they use they are the same - if you see what i mean.

I got advise from BASC on this and it is right, they have to follow a procedure and that is what they are doing here.
Depending on what you say, will depend on the outcome.
The fact you have put target use may not wash, because in the same breath you have put fox, deer etc.

My advice to you, is to put in your letter quite clearly that you intend to fit one of the .30 cal rifles with a dedicated night vision unit, and the other with a dedicated day scope.
Obviously this is a very good reason for you to want to possess both rifles because you'd have to rezero the rifle each time you wanted to use night vision unit if you only had the one rifle.

The fact you wish to use the 308 on a range only reinforces your genuine reason to possess both rifles.

I hope that the above helps, and that I haven't just told you something you already knew.

I am going to sell my 30-06 but I still wish to buy a 308 in the mean while,I've put a thread on accessories on here to see if the is anybody interested in it,I don't want loads of rifles,only ones I need,my 30-06 has only bin across the field once in the last year or so because I leave it zeroed for scenars to use at the club,think I've been to bisley 10 times now in 18 months,I will ring them.

I have had ups and downs with A&S but in fairness to them recently they have got a lot easier to deal with.I have 2 x .243cal rifles and was told by a lot of people that I would never get them from A&S,but,I just put in a letter stating my 'good reason' and it was passed no problem along with a 7mm08 for Boar/Deer. We do get a fair few posts on this and other forums asking for 'Good Reasons' so they can get a certain variation,and in my honest opinion if they haven't got a decent reason reason for wanting/needing the rifle then I don't think it would be too unreasonable fro the issuing force to decline.

M

Hi Swarovski, I had a similar problem recently when I requested a variation for a 6.5x284 barrel for deer whilst also possessing a .308 barrel. Whilst they are generally very good, on this occassion they had a hang up over 6mm (.243) and 6.5mm being too similar to justify the request. I bailed out to be honest and let the .308 go as I was keen to get the 6.5mm operational.

they also had a problem with the moderator,i did write on the variation that i wouldnt be buying another mod i would be using same one on all three rifles,thought i had given them the good reason,deer and foxes and target shooting,what more details can i give them :rolleyes:

I just dont understand why people dont ring the FLD and speek to them expressing there intention and what is the criteria that needs to be met prior to making an application it makes it so much easier to tick the boxes . i also take the the name of whom i spoke to and tell them that i will make the application for their attention on the top line of the address . It makes them feel important and they can relate to your application straight away

I have had ups and downs with A&S but in fairness to them recently they have got a lot easier to deal with.I have 2 x .243cal rifles and was told by a lot of people that I would never get them from A&S,but,I just put in a letter stating my 'good reason' and it was passed no problem along with a 7mm08 for Boar/Deer. We do get a fair few posts on this and other forums asking for 'Good Reasons' so they can get a certain variation,and in my honest opinion if they haven't got a decent reason reason for wanting/needing the rifle then I don't think it would be too unreasonable fro the issuing force to decline.

hi martin i think your spot on with your reply I have three 243 s never had a problem with A and S
regards pete .

Recently I sent variation off for a 308 mainly for target shooting.............................................................. I would be grateful if you could provide in writing a letter detailing your good reason for this additional firearm.

You've already answered it yourself. Primary good reason for possession is target shooting with subsidiary use for sporting purposes on deer, fox, boar, AOLQ, whatever.

I just dont understand why people dont ring the FLD and speek to them expressing there intention and what is the criteria that needs to be met prior to making an application it makes it so much easier to tick the boxes . i also take the the name of whom i spoke to and tell them that i will make the application for their attention on the top line of the address . It makes them feel important and they can relate to your application straight away

How's about because... it's their job to process your application, not advise you of how to show or explain "good reason". You've either got it or you haven't.

As Orion has pointed out our OP has it and simply needs to politely restate it. Personally, I always counsel against entering into debate. especially verbally, and if I were the OP I would write duly acknowledging receipt of the request for information, then restate my already given reasons and request that my application be processed as submitted, thank you.

If the original poster remains uncertain or unconvinced as to what he should do then he should approach a body whose purposes include assisting Firearms certificate applicants. for example BASC or any other similar organisation... and ask for their help.

How's about because... it's their job to process your application, not advise you of how to show or explain "good reason". You've either got it or you haven't............................

Personally, I always counsel against entering into debate. especially verbally, and if I were the OP I would write duly acknowledging receipt of the request for information, then restate my already given reasons and request that my application be processed as submitted, thank you.

Quite right. The problem with asking one of the more draconian FLDs what criteria they would wish you to satisfy, is that you might end up with an unworkable or uneccessarily restrictive set of conditions that could dissuade applicants. The FLDs 'requirements' might have nothing to do with what's in the Firearms Act(s) or HO Guidance, and in this case that appears to be confirmed by what the OP said at #2

they seem to do anything to slow down or prevent you having a firearm,I've had firearms for over 13 years now,they do my head in.

That was certainly my experience of A&S when I was under their juristiction as a S.5 RFD - my own use FAC, (including S.5), was administered by D&C so it made for some interesting comparisons.

i rang them today,didnt really get anymore sense out of them only that they wanted the good reason on a letter,ive already ticked the boxes and filled in the form correctly,what the hell i will put in writing.

"I refer you to the reasons already stated on the application form, namely target shooting with sporting use for deer and XXX."

I'd personally refrain from suggesting that they should have gone to Specsavers though. ;)

i wrote a good reason letter to follow up my land usage and shooting club form and posted it saturday,have not heard anymore yet,after filling the form it should of been a formallity really,ive had 3 deer cal rifles before

proplems could just be starting for A&S licence holders if they go ahead with their plans to put out renewel visits etc to beat officers and firearms officers.

Back