Anybody interested in a Level 1 at cost?

admin

Administrator
I have been approached ny a very kind member who has taken it upon himself to facilitate a discussion between SD and an assessor for DMQ. Basically it has been established that this assessor is willing to run a course, or maybe more for site members at cost.

I am to speak to this gentleman in a couple of week’s time, and it would be helpful if I had a rough idea of numbers of members that would be interested.

Also a thought to bear in mind would be that there is always the SD forestry lease available for stalking at £50 per day for newly qualified level1 holders to practice their new found skills.

Anyone interested should in the first instance pm me, this would be just to give me an idea of numbers etc for when I speak to the assessor. At this moment I have no idea of cost’s etc so please do not ask as I can’t answer.

Although I have it here in General discussion at the moment if it takes off I shall move it to it’s own section.

John

Well as far as I can ascertain at the moment it would be the cost of the mans travelling and accommodation expenses divided by however many are on the course. Which has got to be cheap, but I would like to think that the students would express their thanks by way of a bottle or two of the good stuff or whatever is appropriate.

I did see a two level 1 course advertised today and I think it was £274 or something like that. So it can't be bad, but until I speak to the chap nothing is set in concrete.

John

Very interested as I think it is about time that I got mine. Are we talking north of the border?

I was planning on taking mine in March anyway, but haven't actually booked it yet (waiting for the bank balance to recover after christmas).

For me, its less of an issue of cost, I'm sure that it will be more than reasonable, but more a question of timing. Are there any indications yet as to when this might take place... the sooner the better in my book!

One of my mates is meant to be taking it too, I'm sure he'd also be interested if that is permissable (I can probably get him to sign up and contribute a bit to the site, but he's not the sort of person who spends any time on forums to be honest).

Gez

I would like to do it,BUT cost and location and timing all could get in the way (not neccesarily in that order)

Brian

Let me apologise in advance as new to both the forum and Stalking but can somone give me a brief overview of what the DSC level 1 course consists of. Also what is context of the level 2.

Can you see a time when this will be compulsary to obtain before stalking?? :confused:

Thanks

Some info here about level 1 http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_stalking_certificate_level_1.html

Level 2 info also available on the BDS site.

Basically level 1 is classroom based acquiring knowledge and a target shooting test and should show a basic level of competance.

Level 2 is practical, when you have a bit more experience, you get someone to witness your skills in the field (preparation of carcass rather than shooting) and some knowledge base with questioning. This should show a higher level of competance and you should be 'good enough' to stalk and prepare game unsupervised.

I'm sure someone can come up with a better explanation than that, but its a start for you! :eek:

Gez

Just a question, do you learn all you need to know on the DSC1 course and take the test, or do you have to study before you go on the course,

Brian

Croc

You need to study very hard before going on the DSC 1 course. I saw a couple of guys on my course who had not even opened the manual (which is issued in advance on the BDS run courses) before attending the course and they struggled big time and slowed the learning down for those who had studied.

I also found the course was really good fun and you meet a lot of like minded people.

In my opinion, after the course you will realise how much you "didn't" know about deer - in fact you might become a bit of a deer geek ;)

Regards

Blot

I have always avoided these courses as to me it has been rather a con job but if our JayB has it under his wing then maybe me and Fran would be up for it.
Besides we only need to get our hands on one copy of the course materials and do a "shareware version" :lol: and the course becomes even better value ;)

I know John shocking as it is ... :rolleyes: you know my views on anything the man decides is a good idea :lol:
But with it being your baby then will on this occasion bend slightly, besides got ulterior motives also as per usual ;)

How you feeling mate was meaning to give you a buzz and see if you were over the lurg :rolleyes: gy

Back