Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading Legals

Reloading Legals

Which of these reloading components are required by law to be kept secure?

Primers, Powders, Unprimed Cases, Primed Cases, FMJ Bullets, Expanding Bullets. Tools.

And within the context of the FAC at what point of assembly does a reloaded round count as "possessed"

Unless I have overlooked it there does not appear to be any mention in the Home Office Guidance.
    atb Tim

hello i believe powder,primers and expanding heads to require security all other reloading parts are exempt,someone prove me wrong...!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG white hunter View Post
    hello i believe powder,primers and expanding heads to require security all other reloading parts are exempt,someone prove me wrong...!
    I would be a bit reluctant to secure Nitro Powder in a metal cabinet as this potentially creates a bomb. The FEO wanted my Blackpowder to be stored in a compartmented portable wooden box so that it could be easily removed from the premises in a fire. atb Tim

Ammunition is not classed as such until it is fully assembled and ready to fire. The 1997 Act specifically mentions expanding missiles where it prohibits expanding ammuntion except for etc... Keep all components reasonably secure but as Tim says, not in a metal box.
    Some licensing departments will put expanding missiles separately on fac if requested. That permits larger quantities of missiles to be acquired without the secure storage facilities needed for similar quantities of loaded ammo. I find this useful.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG white hunter View Post

What law requires a reloader to store these components securely? ... prior to assembly, that is.

In other words, can you prove your beliefs to be correct? ... Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    What law requires a reloader to store these components securely? ... prior to assembly, that is.

In other words, can you prove your beliefs to be correct? ... Please.
    I think that this is the problem, both the Firearms Act and H.O.Guidance don't appear to be much help, but I expect somebody somewhere has had to enquire into this before? atb Tim

Account Suspended
    Chinese whispers

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Some licensing departments will put expanding missiles separately on fac if requested. That permits larger quantities of missiles to be acquired without the secure storage facilities needed for similar quantities of loaded ammo. I find this useful.
    Are you certain about that?

Expanding bullets/missiles are classified as S.5 Prohibited in the same way as complete rounds of expanding ammo are, irrespective of how they are listed on your FAC. See HO Guidance for info:

3.17 Category (xv) extends the prohibition
    on the various types of prohibited
    ammunition to the actual bullet or missile
    itself, not just the complete round of
    ammunition (a complete round consists of
    the bullet, the cartridge case, the propellant
    and the primer).

They are therefore subject to exactly the same security requirements as anything else listed on your FAC as per the Prescribed Condition printed at the head of your FAC in accordance with the 1968 Rules:

iv) the fourth condition relates to the safe
    custody of firearms and ammunition and
    is as follows:
    a) the firearms and ammunition to which
    the certificate relates must at all times
    (except in the circumstances set out in
    paragraph b) below) be stored securely
    so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably
    practicable, access to the firearms or
    ammunition by an unauthorised person;

AFAIK there is no exemption from that condition or a lesser security requirement relating to expanding bullets/missiles compared to that required for complete rounds.
    Last edited by Orion; 03-02-2012 at 18:14.

Are some of you chaps bored or short of something to say?

Get a grip. There is no security requirement for any of these articles. Only complete rounds of ammunition have to be locked up. The only security conditions are those detailed on your FAC.

Please don't imply or infer any more restrictions than we have already.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Are you certain about that?

Expanding bullets/missiles are classified as S.5 Prohibited in the same way as complete rounds of expanding ammo are, irrespective of how they are listed on your FAC. See HO Guidance for info:

3.17 Category (xv) extends the prohibition
    on the various types of prohibited
    ammunition to the actual bullet or missile
    itself, not just the complete round of
    ammunition (a complete round consists of
    the bullet, the cartridge case, the propellant
    and the primer).

They are therefore subject to exactly the same security requirements as anything else listed on your FAC as per the Prescribed Condition printed at the head of your FAC in accordance with the 1968 Rules:

iv) the fourth condition relates to the safe
    custody of firearms and ammunition and
    is as follows:
    a) the firearms and ammunition to which
    the certificate relates must at all times
    (except in the circumstances set out in
    paragraph b) below) be stored securely
    so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably
    practicable, access to the firearms or
    ammunition by an unauthorised person;

AFAIK there is no exemption from that condition or security lesser requirement relating to expanding bullets/missiles compared to that required for complete rounds.
    How so?

Ammunition is ammunition only when it is an assembled round. The possession of expanding missiles is prohibited unless you have the exemption to possess them. I'm aware of no link, other than your own leap in logic, which makes storage of the components of ammunition require the same security as assembled ammunition and AFAIK no "exemption" from the secure storage of ammunition is required for the storage of expanding bullets, since they are NOT ammuntion.

Actually I can only see a problem if a person without due authorisation nicks, or otherwise acquires, your expanding bullets from you and ...in terms of criminal liablity...the problem is not actually yours it is theirs for being in possession of something they are not authorised to possess. Albeit that the thing they have got in their possession is essentially inert, harmless and fundamentally useless (i.e. a bullet that is not part of an assembled round)

Imagine if your thinking were correct... Owning a bullet mould could potentially make having lead flashing on your roof a crime.... phoooey!