Good news for reloaders

fatbloke

Limits on the amount of powder reloadersLimits can store has been revised.

You can store up to 15kg of shooters powder this includes black powder.

So you can now store 15kg of smokeless powder or 15 kg of black powder ( no change) or any mixed quantity of smokeless and black powder not exceeding 15kg in total

You can find the information on the BASC website - they posted it last week.

The way the price of powder is going lately, ever upwards:( I don't think the new legislation will make a great deal of difference to many reloaders.

Here's some more possible good news.
I took 101 in for a variation this morning, also wanted to up my ammo holding allowance from 250.
Spoke to the head man, he said he would do what he could, but no promises.
Next he said that expanding ammo was going to come off section 5, so bullets did not count towards your ammo allowance until fully made up.
That would help me out, I can only hold 250 but use 3 or 4 different bullets in my .22hornet, and possibly the same again in .222

Neil. :)

Don't hold your breath. My certificate is in for renewal, well actually it should have been renewed by the 25th January but sending in the paperwork in November obviously wasn't enough time for them to deal with it. Anyway when the FEO called I asked him about the possibility of expanding bullets being taken off the section 5 list and he didn't think it was going to happen in the next couple of years if at all. Incidentally I upped my holding for 9.3mm because of this.

Here's some more possible good news.
I took 101 in for a variation this morning, also wanted to up my ammo holding allowance from 250.
Spoke to the head man, he said he would do what he could, but no promises.
Next he said that expanding ammo was going to come off section 5, so bullets did not count towards your ammo allowance until fully made up.
That would help me out, I can only hold 250 but use 3 or 4 different bullets in my .22hornet, and possibly the same again in .222

When Adrian Whiting did his report on the Cumbria shootings didn't he make some comment regarding downgrading expanding bullets, anyone remember what he said?

The way the price of powder is going lately, ever upwards:( I don't think the new legislation will make a great deal of difference to many reloaders.
The way powder prices are going ever upwards I would think it will make a big difference to reloaders as you can now legally hold three times as much smokeless powder. I can not see the price of powder getting cheaper. It also now makes 8lb tubs viable to sell in the UKAn 8lb tub of Hogdens or IMR is about 100 bucks in the states that's just over £8 a lb :eek:

Last powder I bought, which was a while back, I paid £45 per pound so even an 8lb tub is going to be too much money to have sitting about at £360. It seems unlikely anyone being able to afford to keep 15kgs of powder sitting about at over £1350.

Last powder I bought, which was a while back, I paid £45 per pound so even an 8lb tub is going to be too much money to have sitting about at £360. It seems unlikely anyone being able to afford to keep 15kgs of powder sitting about at over £1350.
My point exactly, and with it ever going up in price it could soon be double so nobody would be able to afford the amount now allowed to be held :eek:

I'm afraid the possibility of 'Expanding' coming off Section 5 controls is in someone's imagination.

Adrian Whiting - ACPO - did refer to this in his paper to the Select Committee who produced the 'Cumbrian' report, along with other ideas for simplifying administrative overheads that had no public safety benefit.

The Select Committee Report didn't mention any of this. Historically, S5 Controls on 'Expanding' came about as a result of a European Directive which had to be tacked into the 1997 Firearms Amendment Act. .... so that at least needs a section repealed to get this to happen.
There's no magic wand to wave here.:doh:

Historically, S5 Controls on 'Expanding' came about as a result of a European Directive which had to be tacked into the 1997 Firearms Amendment Act. .... so that at least needs a section repealed to get this to happen.

And that I was told is the bit under discussion now.

When Norman Clark last had 8lb tubs of Varget in they were £220 each, so near £24/lb.
I have seen 10 kg tubs of vhit powders (looking for the site as I type) as well and they work out at around the same price. You may have to put carriage on as well but it will still be far cheaper.

It may now be possible or viable to get a group buy together in order to purchase some powders in reasonable quantities. Worth thinking about???

Just bear in mind that the Police had all my hand loading powder destroyed by the RAF Bomb disposal squad as they called them unstable dangerous explosives.

So bearing that in mind I see little hope in this.

It may now be possible or viable to get a group buy together in order to purchase some powders in reasonable quantities. Worth thinking about???

Definitley, I've done this a few times with the club I belong to.
If you get over 10kg's the supplier often waives the hazmat transport fee which is actually what drives a lot of the cost.
My last order got Viht N140 in at under £55/kg.

Mind you, this was possible before the change in legislation - the only difference now is that 1 person can go and collect more powder and transport it legally.

That's quite a saving, and N140 is one of the powders that would be on the top of my wish list.

Back