Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one man and his campervan

one man and his campervan

Just seen this programme on bbc 2 this 'naturalist' shot a rifle and was taken stalking. he then had a 'moral dilemma' and could not shoot a deer! However he later cooked some venison from the estate larder. now there's a moral dilemma! I was very disappointed but i suppose i should expect this from the bbc which costs me 140 year in licence fees a year to watch.

There are some strange ones out there. I know quite a few people who are meat eaters but who prefer to see their meat in cellophane!
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

I don't see what your problem is, it's not every one's cup of tea. Not every one has to be a hunter gatherer to eat meat.

My girlfriend is a vegetarian and can't even look after a vegtable garden... Does that mean she should starve?

It's a pretty tall to slaughter/shoot/kill an animal and it's just a fact not every one can do it. We all here on this site are all stalkers or wannabe stalkers so it would be easy for us to knock someone who wouldn't do what we do. At least he had the conviction to stick with his view I suppose. I never saw the programme though so can't really comment!

It happens all the time on these programs , cook goes stalking, either no shot or he bottles it (keeps the letters of complaint down) & then a "here's one we shot earlier" carcass is produced .
    The bbc is beginning to disappear up its own middleclass, london centred a hole .All it can produce is cookery programs with poncy ingredients that no body can get hold of in the real world , as for 5 hrs in one week of "celebrity bake off for sport relief " grrrrr don't get me started !!!!!!

What you talking happens all the time on these programmes, talk nonsense. What about the BBC's kill it cook it eat it? Or that programme where every one lived on the island for a year and had to kill their own pig - castaway or something. Or River cottage, man he eats everying...Oh and Bear Gryls jumping on a feral pig then cooking it over a nice fire? God I can think of dozens!
    Last edited by aliS; 03-02-2012 at 13:58.

I can do better than that, we have a guy who shoots in our little roving syndicate - and he is a vegetarian. Seriously - you should be at the shoot lunches.

He has no moral objection to eating meat or killing game, he just doesn't like it.

He shoots pheasants quite merrily. He has even been stalking with me and was quite happy to hold a leg while I did the gralloch.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Waldy

I fear you are correct, no chef is seen shooting a deer on tv as it annoys the pc brigade and is not worth the fuss. Marco PW could be the exception. Even when Hugh FW was seen taking a shot at a deer on one of his programmes with a guide/stalker it seemed he was just aiming a little down and into the ground rather than actually at the deer, clever editing would produce the dead deer but he has a get out clause for any complaints by saying it was a staged shot and he did not actually hit anything. Again I suspect to stop complaints. Of course I could be wrong and if so then apologies in advance for any slight on any chef's reputation which is not intended.

Oooh Sorry Mr Pedant , I should have said much of the time

By the way -
    Kill it cook it , was ridiculous (in my opinion of course )
    Bear Grylls also ridiculous & not BBC
    The people who lived on the island - 12 years ago? relevant ??
    River Cottage , long past it's sell by date

Talk nonsense? Maybe , but not as much nonsense as the BBC .

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    I don't see what your problem is, it's not every one's cup of tea. Not every one has to be a hunter gatherer to eat meat.

My girlfriend is a vegetarian and can't even look after a vegtable garden... Does that mean she should starve?

It's a pretty tall to slaughter/shoot/kill an animal and it's just a fact not every one can do it. We all here on this site are all stalkers or wannabe stalkers so it would be easy for us to knock someone who wouldn't do what we do. At least he had the conviction to stick with his view I suppose. I never saw the programme though so can't really comment!
    i don't have a problem with anything you have said i just wonder why they bother showing such situations at all? probably to please the pc brigade by taking the moral high point every time!

Well maybe your right, but I don't think it's fair to pick on some one because he couldn't shoot a deer but was happy to cook it.

It may be true that a large poplulation of society turn their back to the truth about where meat actually coems from but I do beleive in the last few year acknowledgement and understanding of farming and country side practice is on the up although at times it may not see that way.

I never watched kill it cook it eat it but I kinda gotthe jist from the title, what was wrong with it?