T4 mod on .30 cal used on .243

widu13

Hi all,

I've only recently finished shooting in my new rifle and tried it with the mod on last night for the first time (first time I've ever used a full bore mod). When shot the sound/flip is certainly reduced but there is a distinct "ting" heard. I thought at first the round was striking the mod but I can't see any strike marks. It's factory threaded.

Is this normal? There was only me shooting so no-one else to ask if they could hear the ting from the side. My only other moderator use is on a .22LR which certainly doesn't ting.

The T series do have a distinctive 'ting' on firing. The T4 tending to be slightly less 'ting' than the T8 - possibly because physically smaller unit to resonate.

Also 'ting' if any passing twigs etc strike them - hence popularity of the various neoprene covers.

As you describe things, appears to be quite normal rather than from bullet clipping etc.

I have used a T4 with my .243 for several years. I also use a T8 on the 30-06. To stop the 'ting' both on firing and touching a twig, I have wrapped them in the cloth type of camo tape. It lasts pretty well with regular use and works a treat. Another method is to put the moderator into a sleeve of heat shrinking plastic cable wrap. Put a hair dryer on it and it shrinks to fit. That works well too. Both methods have less bulk than the neoprene sleeves and work just as well for me.

I have used a T4 with my .243 for several years. I also use a T8 on the 30-06. To stop the 'ting' both on firing and touching a twig, I have wrapped them in the cloth type of camo tape. It lasts pretty well with regular use and works a treat. Another method is to put the moderator into a sleeve of heat shrinking plastic cable wrap. Put a hair dryer on it and it shrinks to fit. That works well too. Both methods have less bulk than the neoprene sleeves and work just as well for me.

Thanks for the replies. I have got a neoprene mod cover but it intrudes into my sight picture and I don't fancy taller mounts, so a bit of sniper tape may be the way to go. I don't like the way it looks tatty after a while though.

Back