Advertising on the site

admin

Administrator
Sorry to have to bring this up but there have been a few instances lately where we have had to step in and speak to people about what could be described as illicit or unknowing advertising. It is quite simple if you have a service to offer other stalkers and you wish to advertise it then pm admin and we will make a decision with you on the best approach.

It is not the intention of SD to make a fortune out of advertising but by the same token we have bills to pay in relation to the site. Plus, and this is very important, we have advertisers who pay and make no mistake about it their support enables this site to run, so in order to be fair to our paying advertisers we have to be quite strict about this.

We don’t think that we could be accused of being greedy or money grabbing, but on the other hand we cannot afford to run this site without it being self supporting. Advertising is available from £10 a month; see the shop page, which is not a lot nowadays less than a round of drinks. So without wishing to seem heavy handed I am afraid we intend to enforce this rule quite rigidly, so if you intend to sell stalking trips, goods, services or whatever be warned, if you fail to speak to us about it your post attempting this will be deleted.

If we do not set the ground rules then mistakes are bound to happen, this way no one is in any doubt. Obviously this in no way affects the classified section.

Admin

Deer Stalking Syndicate

Sorry, I may have been guilty, but not intentionaly, the syndicate I run is NONE PROFIT MAKING, basically we all pay the same, myself included, if I do not fill the places then unfortunatley, the syndicate is no more.

I have lost a few members this year, some to ill health and others, because of the Level 2 claws brought in by the Forestry Commission.

If I have done wrong then please inform me and I will send the £10, this is a great site and I would not want to lose its benefits.

all the best Nick

OK now I am moaning, advertising again

As you all know the site is growing quickly, we have new members everyday which is good. It shows the site is popular for all the right reasons, it is interesting, full of information and help and the help it gives to newcomers to the sport via our generous members is in my opinion second to none.

As you know both Malcolm and myself have appealed to people coming on here that they have to introduce themselves and do not advertise without getting in touch with us first. That usually lasts for a while then it gradually gets ignored, then we start the whole procedure of getting in touch with whoever is concerned and getting it sorted out, all time consuming.

So here is the deal, when people come on and start advertising, their services, or business or whatever without speaking to us first then the post will be deleted, no PM, no warnings etc deleted on sight. It is quick and easy and very fair to our paying advertisers. It does not cost a fortune to advertise, this site is for the benefit of stalkers, not a free advertising area for commercial enterprise.

Now I am feeling better.

John

nice one john lets keep the site for stalkers and stalking not a free ad space

gadget

Some of the web sites I have joined send you an email link to click on to verify your email address at this time they some times come equipt with a few brief do's and don't.
Not sure if your can do this on the current double overhead elastic band powered host site but may be one to put on the back burner for if the site moves to another provider.

Make it sticky

A humble suggestion, if I may?

Make the Admin posting about advertising in 'stalking availability' sticky, so it doesn't get pushed down and out of sight as new postings come in.

I am sure that most new Forum members with stalking to sell don't pile in with the intention of being rude or grabbing something for nothing, but neither is it realistic to expect all of them to visit the general section to read the health warning. Many post adverts without being aware of the house rules - and thereby ruffle feathers innocently. Make it easy for people to tow the line and most will.

KF
:D

stop moaning you ole git :lol: :lol:
not sure how you can prevent it but as you say iot is a growing site once more
sometimes a little free advertising may go a long way then put a cap on it
ATB

KF,

I have done as you suggested and put the advertising thread as a sticky, although I do believe that I would not get rich betting on the innocent posters being innocent :eek:

As for you Rich, go and something disgusting to your hat :D

John

Re: Make it sticky

KevinF said:

Make the Admin posting about advertising in 'stalking availability' sticky, so it doesn't get pushed down and out of sight as new postings come in.

I am sure that most new Forum members with stalking to sell don't pile in with the intention of being rude or grabbing something for nothing, but neither is it realistic to expect all of them to visit the general section to read the health warning. Many post adverts without being aware of the house rules - and thereby ruffle feathers innocently. Make it easy for people to tow the line and most will.

KF
Totally agree Kevin I made this very mistake just a few weeks ago I was not trying to steal free advertising but felt like i was doing so with the responses a sticky would have halted my mistake and pointed me in the right direction with no harm done.

Re: Make it sticky

pierred said:
KevinF said:

KF
Totally agree Kevin I made this very mistake just a few weeks ago I was not trying to steal free advertising but felt like i was doing so with the responses a sticky would have halted my mistake and pointed me in the right direction with no harm done.

Aye -

My suggestion was forged in the heat of the hostility I received having also inadvertently offended site rules by my posting...

Glad to see John is giving the sticky a go. I'll stand a pint or two for him if the result is not a reduction in offences.

KF

Surprised it took u so long admin !

Those who r attempting 2 generate revenue from a free site should have their dogs shot and b prosecuted. (Well not really....but .......)

Keep the site as an informal forum and if guys want 2 advertise their services they should be charged...something in a past post said a tenner....am I right there !

Rockin

Your right you can advertise for a tenner a month, not one of the banners at the top og the page but you can put a post up, that will last for a month, or even a banner on the shop page, it can be done quite cheaply.

I have even changed the intro on the Stalking - Late Availability forum. I felt this was necessary because even after this particular thread, and the sticky being at the top of the relevant forum I still had to remove one this morning.

John

I see I have just fallen foul of the "not paying for advertising when I should have" rule and had a post deleted. In my defence, as a new member (signed up today) it is not at all obvious what the rules are in this regard.
It also strikes me that more than half the posts I've read today are advertising in some form or other, but are they all considered to be paid for advertising? Admin needs to make it very clear ON THE HOME PAGE what the deal is, if they expect members to play fair. We should not receive a bollocking and then have to dig for a buried thread to find out that we have broken the rules.

50/50

You obviously do not appear to be too happy about having had your post removed, and quote your newness as a defence and the hidden rules as being of no help. How are the rules hidden? they are there in the form of a sticky post at the top of the general discussion forum for all to see, I might add they are there at the request of members so that they would be clearly visible. How could you not see them? Your newness did not prevent you making a sizeable post advertising your hunting did it?

I do not know what post's you are referring to where over half of them are advertising in some form or other, I can tell you now that we keep a close watch on any attempts at advertising , whether it be openly or by the "back door" method and I can assure you that for any one advertising on here there is a cost implication. The thread is not buried it is at the top of the page all we expect you to do is read it, is that not fair? I would suggest it is a lot fairer than just advertising without even contacting admin, surely common sense would dictate this course of action.

This site is not run as a business, it is run for the benefit of it's members, stalkers. There is a cost implication in it's running and that is met by the revenue acquired from advertising. What is not covered is the the time and effort involved in it's running, and now that the site has been revamped and is gaining in popularity and expanding accordingly this time and effort is increasing. If you think that you have been treated harshly and have fallen foul of some cunning advertising trap well that is your prerogative but, I can assure you that is not the case. How it could be construed from the other side of the fence is that you have attempted to get free advertising and got caught out. If that were the case then you would not be the first, nor I doubt the last

John, Admin

Back