Thread: DSC 1 - 4 day or assessment only

DSC 1 - 4 day or assessment only

I'm thinking of doing level 1 this year, I've been advised to read up and just do the assessment day. I've looked at the BDS and looks to be about 165, the four day is 275. Please let me lnow your thoughts on which route is best?

Quote Originally Posted by Cry Havoc View Post
    I'm thinking of doing level 1 this year, I've been advised to read up and just do the assessment day. I've looked at the BDS and looks to be about 165, the four day is 275. Please let me lnow your thoughts on which route is best?
    I did the now defunct BDS Online learning course followed by the assessment only days. Whichever route you choose you still have to learn the contents of the manual to do the multiple choice tests, be able to practically demonstrate the answers to the safety questions and shoot competently with the rifle. I found that putting in many hours of revision and dry firing practice with the rifle was as much as I needed to do to pass. The BDS deer identification cd was very useful and I understand that those who attended the full course enjoyed doing it.atb Tim

I think it depends on how much experience you already have. I swotted like mad and could probably have passed the assesment but as a novice with only a couple of paid stalks behind me I really enjoyed the four days. It was chance to ask questions and learn a bit more than was actually needed to pass. It also resulted in an invitation to a local deer park to get a bit more grallocking practice.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Get someone to ask you the question bank! I assume you have highlighted the CORRECT answer of each questrion at the back of the manual!

If you can answer every question correctly, this including the simulated stalk questions where you need to identify 8 of the 12 things recommended for say a highland Red days stalking (only using those numbers as a "For Example"). Then you should be OK, however, if you are in any doubt to any answers, do the course. I think I would have passed the assessment only, but I read and read the manual over and over, including the question bank.

What I will say though is I learned alot of "out of syllibus" information, from the instructors and other students through conversation.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

When I did mine I registered to do the assesment only due to work commitments, then nearer the course date I managed to get time to do the four days.

Our course tutor gave us lots of additional tips and information which would never have come across on the assesment only day.
    It was also good to meet a bunch of like minded people as there was a wealth of information, and some great stories, from them at the same time.

I probably would have passed the assesment without a hitch but the course was good.

Thanks for your thoughts, I think I'd answer the questions ok but as mentioned its the extra info you get from the course that makes it. Once again thanks.

+ over 3 days you get time to chat, meet some decent people doing the course.