Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swavorski Bins

Swavorski Bins

Hi All. I know that there will be lots of views and that there is a degree of compromise but I'd be interested in and grateful for your thoughts. I'm thinking of buying some second hand Swavorski bins - up to 850 to spend. General use - long days up on the hill for reds (so weight and bulk to take into account) plus early morning/ late evening on the sika and roe (so low light capability also of import). Ideas and views would be welcomed. I also can't work out what the diff between the SLC's and EL's are other than price.

Sounds like you've made the right choice, I have a second hand pair of Cat 2 Swarovski's bought from the dealer which came with the usual long warrenty for 750. I cannot fault them at all. As far as working in low light goes I can still see adequately through mine when it is too dark to see any distance with the naked eye, to dark for me to comfortably take a shot. I've seen through Marshall on this sites 8 x 50's and they are a little better but they also weigh a little more so I suppose it's a comprimise.

Thanks for the responses. AliS - Could you let me know the dealer please. Would be interested in some refurb'd ones.

I have had a pair of 7x42slc for 15 years now, bought new for 530. I still have the original box and receipt!
    Tehy recently went to Swarovski as the rubber casing was starting to come away in a small area. They came back looking brand new, with 3 lenses replaced, although I don't know why, new rubber shell, eyepieces changed etc...
    When they were away I was lent a pair of 10x42slc HD's by Swarovski which were fantastic, but not so good in my opinion that when mine came back I thought I needed to change them, although tempted.

A mate has the 8x30slc which for hill stalking would be my first choice as they are small, compact and light weight.

I personally feel that the 7x42 are a good compromise.

I use mine mainly on Sika but for roe as well, and the sika are buggers for appearing on the last shred of light and the swarovski's cope no problem. I have also used them on the hill.

I personally think that for your budget a mint pair of secondhand 7x42slc's would be the best buy and you will still have change left over.

I think the we're a mint cond pair on here for sale for about 500 recently...

I cannot paste on the link for the pair for sale on this iPad, but have a look through the optics section on classifieds, although I see the seller has now marked sold as he cannot afford to upgrade, but still has them. May be worth a wee pm asking when they be be available. For 500 there is not a better buy out there, with a 30 year guarantee send them to Swarovski if there is the slightest thing wrong, and they will come back like new, that cost me a tender for all the work mentioned in my previous post.

I would ha,be to be offered an exceptional deal on something else now to make me ever part with mine....

R Macleod in Tain (Ross-Shire) aka Winkies, they have a list of second hand optics on their website and he will post.

Do not for one second doubt his credability, he'll look after you. Not always the cheapest mind but worth it.

He has a pair of 7x42 SLC's for 595 marked as 8/10 for quality. If they are marked cat 1 or 2 this means that swarovski have inspected them and you get them in a box as if they were knew. I'm guessing this pair have not been back to Swaro...

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/optical.htm
    Last edited by aliS; 04-02-2012 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    R Macleod in Tain (Ross-Shire) aka Winkies, they have a list of second hand optics on their website and he will post.

Do not for one second doubt his credability, he'll look after you. Not always the cheapest mind but worth it.

He has a pair of 7x42 SLC's for 595 marked as 8/10 for quality. If they are marked cat 1 or 2 this means that swarovski have inspected them and you get them in a box as if they were knew. I'm guessing this pair have not been back to Swaro...

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/optical.htm
    Bought a lot of stuff from Gregor over the years, one of the best dealers I have ever come across and you won't get a more honest description of a second hand product

Thanks jamross65. Yep I saw the SLCs for sale and had I been quick enough...! I have been wavering between 8.5x42 ELs and the 7x42 SLCs. Think I'm leaning towards the SLCs as they look a little more compact than the ELs and as you say I'll get some change too.

Huge thanks. Really helpful.