Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im Alright Jack

Im Alright Jack

Iam alright Jack , i was just reading another thread concerning a keeper who lost his job , home etc . Over the yrs this guy must have had dealings with 100s if not 1000s of shooters all of which at that time would have called him a friend , good bloke etc .
    The previous thread made me think back over the yrs to all the people ive bent over backwards to help and how many have or would do the same for me and the truth is i could count them on 1 hand . I would never give to recieve or ever think of reminding them .

I suppose the point i am trying to make is that the I AM ALRIGHT JACK attitude seems more common place than ever before not just because of the reccession but because of the way society has become .
    If every person done another a good turn today ( without reward ) and carried on doing so on a daily bases .

How long would it be before we all lived in a better community ?

I do it on a daily basis.... people walk into the garage wanting a bulb fitting or oil level checking and I do it FOC, I lend people tools and let them put air in their tyres using my compressor which runs on electric that I pay for, they think air is free. I lent someone my pigeon decoys last July and I haven't seen them since.
    The problem you describe stems from people taking the P155
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

These types rely on folks like us,.............. same old , same old.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Monument veiw View Post
    Iam alright Jack , i was just reading another thread concerning a keeper who lost his job , home etc . Over the yrs this guy must have had dealings with 100s if not 1000s of shooters all of which at that time would have called him a friend , good bloke etc .
    The previous thread made me think back over the yrs to all the people ive bent over backwards to help and how many have or would do the same for me and the truth is i could count them on 1 hand . I would never give to recieve or ever think of reminding them .

I suppose the point i am trying to make is that the I AM ALRIGHT JACK attitude seems more common place than ever before not just because of the reccession but because of the way society has become .
    If every person done another a good turn today ( without reward ) and carried on doing so on a daily bases .

How long would it be before we all lived in a better community ?
    I think you raise a very valid point .
    I recently invited a good friend on a very expensive day on the pheasants asked why I had done so I replied with the quote that you
    can in a lifetime count real friends on one hand and he had in the past been there for me if i had needed him as i had for him
    I did not give to recieve just wanted his company in a friendly team of guns that made for a great day
    regards pete .

Me too but it’s often not reciprocated. I leant someone my sack of pigeon decoys a few years back which also contained a spare box of cartridges for emergencies. Next time I used the decoys I discovered that 30 had become 28 and the cartridges were no more. I kept quiet until the cheeky t**t asked if he could borrow them again!
    I should add that the keeper I help out now has been as good as his word. He even took me out to shoot my first roe last week. So don't lose heart. Sometimes you meet someone just like yourself and everything clicks into place.

Last edited by baguio; 04-02-2012 at 10:44.

I think it must stem back to the education system (i left school in 1976) and the way we were brought up by our parents.
    I was always taught values both at school and at home.
    I will always help people out when i can, as you have said, even when it costs you money yourself.
    Prime example is by a river bank, people often ask my advice, this usually ends up with me giving away flies, leaders etc
    Provided it doesn't interfere with my paying client i will always help out, especially with children, the future of our sport, but i digress.
    What also annoys me is plain good old manners, or lack of, when i get a communication (and i get lots either stalking or fly fishing), i always reply, by phone,email or pm.
    The amount of time i send out details at a request and never get a reply, even if they dont decide to go with me just a simple 'thank you' doesnt go a miss, or just an acknowledgement.
    Cheers
    Richard

Bajuio , my nature to help others is deep seated as i grew up with my grand parents and thier values rubbed of on me ( something i am very proud of ) .
    when i decided to get involved in stalking it was a friend of a friend that mentored me and showed me the ropes , he has never made me feel in his det and has become a very good friend if there was more like him around this world the world would be a much better place ( thanks P )
    Last edited by Monument veiw; 04-02-2012 at 10:50.

There are not many of us good guys left and after getting my pants pulled down a few times i am not going to be a good guy much longer
    .GOD THIS SPORT IS FULL OF TAKERS.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    There are not many of us good guys left and after getting my pants pulled down a few times i am not going to be a good guy much longer
    .GOD THIS SPORT IS FULL OF TAKERS.
    True, but I have been amazed by the generosity of certain forum members recently... it's rather humbling don't you think?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Devon deer stalker I couldn’t agree more with your sentiments but have to say that things have changed for the worst unfortunately.
    For instance schools no longer set a good example. I have been dealing with quite a few schools over the last six months. I frequently send an email to the headteacher confirming that I will be attending the school at a certain time and date and informing them of the information that will need to be made available when I visit. Only one school which happens to be a fee paying public school ever bothers to acknowledge receipt or confirms the appointment or even bothers to thank me for advanced information.