Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What parts of guns NEED to be stored in a cabinet?

What parts of guns NEED to be stored in a cabinet?

Was chatting with a friend the other night and we came across the above interesting question...

Rifles are pretty clear, swapping barrels are licensed and should therefore be in, actions and bolts likewise, but as far as we were aware only the actions of shotguns are licenced. Which raised the question - can the barrels and forestocks therefore be stored elsewhere to free up space in the cabinet if required?

I would include any equipment or part of a firearm that enables the use of such , to go into secure storage, Moderators, Magazines, etc.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I always understood that "pressure bearing" components have to be secured. e.g. barrels,actions etc. Magazines, detached woodwork,slings etc. can be unsecured although someone more knowledgable might correct me on this. atb.Tim

I included Magazines, as they are an integral part, enabling a rifle to be made more useful, rather than being in a single round situation,or dropping one in to the breech shotgun style.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Yep, my mods that are on ticket go in, mags I'm not so fussed. Never heard about the pressure bearing bit before. Shotgun barrels inparticular aren't on ticket (you can even buy one gun with two sets of barrels and think it's still only recorded as one gun) and they would create quite a space saving.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    Yep, my mods that are on ticket go in, mags I'm not so fussed. Never heard about the pressure bearing bit before. Shotgun barrels inparticular aren't on ticket (you can even buy one gun with two sets of barrels and think it's still only recorded as one gun) and they would create quite a space saving.
    I vaguely recall that before they were banned you could buy kits to assemble a revolving shotgun, made up it looked a bit like a Colt peacemaker with a brass frame, detachable stock and 24" barrel . The stock, lock components & frame could be bought without a SGC and the cylinder & barrel with a SGC. Regretably when the ban came in I had only partly made components.atb Tim

There's no 'law' to say a shotgun even has to be kept in a cabinet. However you are required to store all 'component parts' securely.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

And the "component parts" referred to are those that are integral to the firing of the weapon, and/or are pressure bearing. So a barrel is included, a magazine probably isn't (but then detachable magazines aren't allowed for shot guns under an SGC). Personally all rifle magazines are secured in the ammunition safe, mainly because it means I don't forget to pick them up when I take the ammunition out of the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    And the "component parts" referred to are those that are integral to the firing of the weapon, and/or are pressure bearing. So a barrel is included, a magazine probably isn't (but then detachable magazines aren't allowed for shot guns under an SGC). Personally all rifle magazines are secured in the ammunition safe, mainly because it means I don't forget to pick them up when I take the ammunition out of the safe.
    I was able to buy the rimfire magic CZ trigger kits without producing my FAC so presumably they do not have to be secured?

I would have thought it was the bits you need to produce a cert to buy, so mags triggers furniture no