Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foxing advice

Foxing advice

Could do with a bit of advice from the more experienced

Just got mu 1st .243 (thanks Peter/Badger) and have a chance of doing a bit of foxing. I basically need some advice on a budget set up to start with ie:

Call - I can call by hand mouth OK but occasionally come out with something that sounds more like the morning after a bad curry. Cant afford digital stuff at the moment so any advice on effective hand held/other calls would be appreciated.

Lamp - Got a Cluson CB2 which has been OK for rabbiting but think an upgrade would help. A lot will be on foot so will prob need option of battery pack as well. Again any advice appreciated.

Any other bits or bobs that come in handy?

I know you get what you pay for generally, but unfortunately for now the priority was a decent rifle.

Many thanks,
    Richard

Hi,

get a WAM call, metal disc you blow through. They worl pretty good and should only cost around a tenner. Calling by hand is best and if you need practice then practice when you are on your own in the car, thats what I did.

Lampwise there are a million options now but lightforce clones with a lithium battery pack are pretty good. You can go led or HD now but they are pretty pricey too.

just got a 'wam' and an 'acme' call recently and the acme seems loads better. Sturdier and louder and only 4 quid as opposed to the 12 quid wam.

Hi, calling is a skill learned over time, don't worry too much about getting it right first time, when a Fox presents itself in your area, any sound made at the right time will usually stop it dead in it's tracks, giving you a good chance of dropping it, however, if you want to start off cheap & cheerful, with calling in mind, the WAM is your best bet, sometimes confused with a duck whistle, if you are vehicle mounted, a small piece of polystyrene drawn across the glass will produce some sometimes surprising results.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

clulite cb2 i have shot hundreds of foxs illuminated by mine + red /amber filter as for calls try a few still loving my hand .i like the filter on cb2 as you can push to one side for extra light

hi i use a foxcaller two bits of plastic with a read through the middle awesum blow as hard or as soft as you like definaitly go for a lithuim battery they are light weight and should last a few years i use a variable power lightforce well worth it save up get the right stuff firts time youll save money in the end

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    Hi,

get a WAM call, metal disc you blow through. They worl pretty good and should only cost around a tenner. Calling by hand is best and if you need practice then practice when you are on your own in the car, thats what I did.

Lampwise there are a million options now but lightforce clones with a lithium battery pack are pretty good. You can go led or HD now but they are pretty pricey too.
    Try this: I bought one, works great, and this also works well...

Good luck

keep is simple mate and use the call god gave ya its hands free , you wont forget it and its one less thing to carry

This is a good starting point, ....The item, not the seller.!!!THE ORIGINAL FOX CALL UK CALLER SHOOTING FREE LANYARD ! | eBay
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

ill be out later on the snow , no lamp , no fancy call just a shotgun and a pocket full of heavies . stand by a gate post and squeek you can hear them miles off , great fun