Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving wild deer to guns

Driving wild deer to guns

Is there any law concerning deer drives for wild deer in the UK? I remember years ago hearing someone say it was illegal but as the type of deer management I have been involved with has never had need of such tactics I have not thought about it since. Recently I have been invited to one so I thought I would raise the question.

It's illegal to drive deer using any motorised vehicle, except for enclosed deer. Not sure about driving them on foot though.

I've never driven deer in the UK, but I have moved them (roe only) successfully using two teams of rifles.

The first team stalk a block of woodland -very slow and steady- and might, but probably won't, get a shot, whilst the second team cover the exits.

This works best if the standing rifles set up to take any deer a full bound from the wood, that is to say, on the far side of a natural feature, such as a strip of open ground, a hedgerow or a stream, as once they have crossed such a psychological boundary the deer will tend to stop, relax and graze or browse. It goes without saying that the rifles should be placed and advised of the terrain in such a way as to present no danger to each other.

Assuming you have more ground to work, the stalkers become standing rifles and vice versa on the next move.

This approach obviously disturbs the deer more than a single stalker would, but it should never put them to flight, and any shots are taken with plenty of time to assess each animal and ensure correct bullet placement and safety.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 05-02-2012 at 11:30. Reason: Species clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Is there any law concerning deer drives for wild deer in the UK? I remember years ago hearing someone say it was illegal but as the type of deer management I have been involved with has never had need of such tactics I have not thought about it since. Recently I have been invited to one so I thought I would raise the question.
    Driving deer is not allowed. Moving is. As for the difference ???

What I would suggest is to have a tracking dog on call.

A regularly used method in remote areas where access is an issue.

Whether its legal or not, well, I cant answer that one Im afraid.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    Driving deer is not allowed. Moving is. As for the difference ???

What I would suggest is to have a tracking dog on call.
    It's legal in Scotland.

What's not legal here is... using vehicles... to drive deer ("vehicles" does NOT include aircraft or hovver craft) However, even using vehicles to drive deer is permissable, courtesy of SNH/DCS granting license, for "management" purposes.

p.s. but don't shoot from a moving vehicle, that's not allowed.
    Last edited by Tamus; 04-02-2012 at 22:50.

Walking Deer to guns in high seats is done annually by a well known Deer Manager, CIC measurer in the Hampshire area.
    That is not illegal. The deer are not stressed or driven, just disturbed and, hopefully, move in the direction of the sited guns who do not shoot them on the move.
    This method is normally used to reduce the Does in quantity over a short time, usually after the pheasant season has finished.

I am not an expert in this area but it is my belief they can be moved/driven to a waiting line of guns in an enclosed area, however how you would stand if you used more than 2 dogs is questionable.
    Simple answer is to find out for sure from BASC/SACS or similar, ignorance is no defense in law as they say, you might end up on the wrong side of the law.
    Cheers
    Richard

you dont want to use dogs , just slow walking beaters to move the deer out at a walk , you want your deer to walk alone stopping to look back at your at the beaters not running out at full tilt . Bit like fox driving really

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    you dont want to use dogs , just slow walking beaters to move the deer out at a walk , you want your deer to walk alone stopping to look back at your at the beaters not running out at full tilt . Bit like fox driving really
    Absolutely correct
    Being all sensible chaps on here I, naturally, assumed that dogs would not even be considered for walking Deer to sited rifles so did not mention it.
    That would definitely be a no no for the reason mentioned by trouble.