Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What make to buy....advice if poss.

What make to buy....advice if poss.

Hi all,
    Looking to buy a budget-ish priced 22-250 and want to know of any good /bad to buy or avoid.
    Remington 700 SPS looks okay to me, but no adj. trigger without forking out.

CZ 550 looks nice , but dont think the barrel floats. Does that REALLY matter so much for charlie?

Weatherby Vanguard, some good deals around...why?

Browning A bolt or Winchester Coyote maybe...

If any owners of the above can chip in their ten cents worth it would be nice of you, ta.

Re: What make to buy....advice if poss.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Parsons
    Hi all,
    Looking to buy a budget-ish priced 22-250 and want to know of any good /bad to buy or avoid.
    Remington 700 SPS looks okay to me, but no adj. trigger without forking out.

CZ 550 looks nice , but dont think the barrel floats. Does that REALLY matter so much for charlie?

Weatherby Vanguard, some good deals around...why?

Browning A bolt or Winchester Coyote maybe...

If any owners of the above can chip in their ten cents worth it would be nice of you, ta.
    Sorry not any of the above Richard but I wouldn't swap my Tikka T3 Hunter Deluxe .22-250 for anything else, with a 3.5-10x50 Kahles Scope its very accurate. I exclusively use 50 grain Norma ballistic tips & haven't missed a Fox or Muntjac yet.

Well recommended.

(There's a new T3 Lite Synthetic going for 499 in the sale at one of our local shops.)

Chris

Don't forget the howa, which is almost identical to the vangaurd but has a 3 stage safety. Even the sporter is very accurate.
    I'd choose these over a remmy. The smaller cz527 is good, but I don't know much about the 550.

Most factory rifles the barrel doesn't float or at least not properly but it
    isn't a major deal sorting that.

You might want to buy your rifle threaded for a moderator.

edi

I have a CZ 550 in 6.5X55 and really like it. As for floating the barrel, I would shoot it first and see if it would benefit from floating. The truth is any of the makers nowadays produce a good enough gun with the only perceived faults being down to the particular likes and dislikes of the person pulling the trigger.

John

The older model of winchesters were supposed to be very good if you can find one. I think there was word on here that prices for rifles were on their way up,so for my money I would try to find a forgotten rifle in a gunshop somewhere.
    The only thing that puts me of .22/250 is the 1:14 twist. Sorry gents! I couldn't stop myself from throwing that comment in

Richard

CZ550 barrels are fully free floated forward of the recoil lug. Only problem I have heard of is the wood moving and touching the barrel. No problem, just get at it with sand paper and take a bit out! Having said that, I've not touched mine and in 6 years its been up to 40 degrees, down to -10, drenched and dried with no problems. Great spout for the cash. However, add 75 to the price because you will want to change the trigger. I have just put a Timney in mine, available from Midway UK. Put it in myself, a pin and a little machine screw. done. Difference is unbelievable and turned something I thought was ok into something very acceptable.

And it shoots a 3/4" group all day long with factory ammunition!

Can't go wrong with CZ, I'm not sure of the price of the A-bolt or if you can get it in 22-250
    I have always regretted selling my old A-bolt 270, excellent rifle.

I had an old rws 22-250, which is basically a vangaurd and I think Howa use Weatherby actions, you can't really go wrong , it's going to be down to personal choice

Hello Richard,

Also have a look at the RWS Titan.

I bought one at the end of last summer and after a bit of trial and error finding some ammo that it was happy with it now shoots superbly well with Remington Acutips! Rifle was good value and the timber on my gun is excellent.

I shoot a 22.250 CZ550 heavy barrel in laminated stock, more accurate than i can shoot, at 100 yards with Federal 55g BTs 3 shots inside a 2pence piece everytime.

a bolt

I have a 22/250 A bolt eclipse. Fantastic tool for foxes. It has a thumbhole stock which makes gun control off sticks/fences/walls that bit more certain. It has a clip out/drop down magazine which means you can carry the clip when driving and be ready to rock and roll in about 2 seconds. With a wildcat mod it clover leafs 50gr at 100metres. Varmint barrel makes it a tad heavy but then are we men or mice?
    I loved it so much I got the A bolt duratouch in 30-06. Stock feels way nicer than a lot of synthetics.
    Bolt feels tighter on the stroke than a lot of guns, oh and its got a shotgun safety which I prefer due to a childhood with shotguns.
    Would post a picture but have no idea how