Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 or 30.06?????

6.5 or 30.06?????

Hi folks,

i am planning a new rifle but am not sure what to go for.

I currently shoot a tikka t3 243 and am realy happy with it but fancy something a bit larger for the reds.

My question is what would you recomend and why, i have heard good things about the 6.5 x 55 and the 30-06, which do you think is best? Or is there a better option that i have not taken into consideration?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

ally

I like the 6.5 and the 30-06 very much but they are two different kinds of rifle; especially when talking about the larger game animals. I, and others here, would be able to use either but there would need to be adjustments made in hunting strategies; one might be considered marginal for the big animals at longer ranges and one might be considered "over kill" on the smaller species up close. Why not split the difference and consider a 270? Plenty flat shooting, powerful, versatile in bullet weights, and not a shoulder breaker.~Muir

I think both have their place. One well known person on this site uses his 30-06 on everything from muntjac to boar and it does the job efficiently and with no massive damage on the smaller quarry. A lot of this is using the correct bullet though.

There is also another user of this site, who just happens to have had the largest roe head taken in 2011 anywhere in Britain (probably europe too), who uses his 6.5x55 on reds and roe to great effect. Shooting well in excess of 200 beasts a year. He uses a lighter premium bullet pushed fast and it deals equally well with both species. Soon we will hear how it copes with sikas which are notoriously tough beasties.

One well known stalker (professional) who is now retired, used a 6.5x57 for many years on big west coast reds. But he did a lot of work on finding the correct bullet for the rifle. To the extent he got himself involved in bullet trials with manufacturers. He has ended up using a .308 though!

Both will do the job. But as Muir said, there is always the much underated .270, now tamed by moderators and better stock design, or the old stand-by of the .308. Value for money being critical then .270 is the way forward as there are some real bargains out there because it is an unfashionable calibre at the moment, whereas the 6.5 is "in" fashion and you will pay a premium.

Simon

If I were you I would keep the .243 and ADD a .30/06 to your ticket if you can afford it.
    In a very long shooting lifetime I have used many different calibres but if I was only allowed one rifle for all purposes it would be the .30/06 as it is one of the finest cartridges ever made by mortal man.
    If you are or decide to become a re-loader you will find a vast array of bullets in various weights and types suitable for all purposes obtainable almost anywhere.
    Ingredients for the 6.5mm are much more difficult to source and are generally of a very limited variety.
    I have shot 7 species of deer from Muntjac to Moose with the .30/06 with no problems plus large numbers of furry and feathered vermin species.

HWH.

As stated by `flytie` the .270 too is an excellent cartridge and I had one of those for many years also, I gave mine recently to my executor.
    I parted with my .30/06 in 1972 when the law changed in Eire allowing a ceiling of .270 cals. instead of the hitherto .22 centrefires then only legal for shooting deer there. I have had another for use here though since then.

However , the same applies to the .270 with regard to re-loading.

HWH.

Stag seems to me to have the right idea.
    A two-rifle battery of .243 and .270 or .30-06 would really cover all bases.

It depends on whether you load your own or not, but even light-bullet factory loads for 6.5x55 will not in my experience do fast and flat like a .243, nor will the heavier-bullet load get anything like the velocities you'd get from a similar weight in .270 or .30-06, particularly if you hobble the 6.5 with a fashionably-short barrel. In particular, RWS factory load data is obtained using improbably-long barrels.

Looking at it simply in terms of something more powerful, I'd but the 6.5x55 in the mildest bracet along with .243 - whose abilities in factory load for fast-and-flat it certainly does not share.
    .270 and .30-06 are at the top end of the non-magnum deer-cartridge - quite a different proposition.

I support the very sound advice from flytie and stag1933. I chose the 30-06 and have no regrets. I also kept my 243 and am glad that I did. Those two calibres are so flexible in their own particular ways. Between them we can shoot any bullet weight from the lightest 6mm varmint to the 30 cal 220 grain jobs. I hope you enjoy your quest.

Can't imagine why you wouldn't have a 6.5x47Lapua......from what I've seen over the past months, calibre is unquestionably good, the cartridge is great, with inherrent accuracy and far from just being a 'Benchrest tool', is extremely well suited for all hunting within the UK.
    Fair range of bullets to choose from as well.
    I've seen the proof, with a good friend having taken quite a few stags & hinds with his over the past few months.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Any calibre will prove it's ability to take deer if you hit them in the right place. I agree, if you can afford (and will have use for it), keep the .243 and add something larger. If you just need the one rifle and can only afford something decent by selling the .243, then sell it and buy something between a 6.5 and a 30 cal like a sako or sauer. calibre-wise...pick whatever you want after having test shot some - the calibre's won't make a difference, the difference between a 6.5 and an '06 are negligible when it comes to shooting deer. Find a range or store that will allow you to take the two rifles out that you are interested in (for example sako/sauer) and test shoot them in say 6.5, 270, aught six, .308 - then decide which calibre in which rifle feels like your best friend - buy it and keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    Can't imagine why you wouldn't have a 6.5x47Lapua......from what I've seen over the past months, calibre is unquestionably good, the cartridge is great, with inherrent accuracy and far from just being a 'Benchrest tool', is extremely well suited for all hunting within the UK.
    Fair range of bullets to choose from as well.
    I've seen the proof, with a good friend having taken quite a few stags & hinds with his over the past few months.
    The 6.5's are good all rounders, I am quite happy with the .260 I have. I am not convinced there is much of a difference between the x47, x51 and x55, other than using moderately different amounts of powder...
    Downside is that you'd really have to reload for any of the less common 6.5mm derivatives.