Thread: Impala Bullets.

Impala Bullets.

Hi Folks, I found this interesting article about South African "Impala" lead free bullets while browsing the net. Review.
    Has any one used them in this country? Would it be legal to do so?Any other thoughts?

Account Suspended
    These do not appear, from what I can find on their website, to be designed to expand. So not legit here, for deer.

They also appear to be a bit of a copy of bullets by the "GS Custom" folk in Port Elizabeth, S.A. (who do also design expanders). See..

http://gscustom.co.za/

No they don't expand, I thought that design would preclude their use here. I think the idea is that the "knock down" effect comes from the shock wave driven by the sharply machined shoulder of the projectile.
    There's a lot of talk these days about a possible requirement for lead-free hunting bullets and the difficulty in finding a substitute with suitable expansion characteristics. I wonder if this design means the definition of a suitable bullet may change - the idea that the bullet should make its effect by expanding seems predicated on the presence of lead or a similar soft, heavy metal. I think this looks like an interesting alternative and suggests that there may not be a need to panic about the banning of lead for hunting. They're not very cheap though....

Your opening a can or worms that is best left closed as if the powers that be get the notion that a projectile can kill be shock alone then god only can help us as they would ban these highly dangerous Cop killers in a heart beat. Just as Obama and his pet dogs the ATF have done with a lot of the Barnes range for being armour piercing . The fact they are not matters little it's just another back door way to further restrict shooting.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    No they don't expand, I thought that design would preclude their use here. I think the idea is that the "knock down" effect comes from the shock wave driven by the sharply machined shoulder of the projectile.
    There's a lot of talk these days about a possible requirement for lead-free hunting bullets and the difficulty in finding a substitute with suitable expansion characteristics. I wonder if this design means the definition of a suitable bullet may change - the idea that the bullet should make its effect by expanding seems predicated on the presence of lead or a similar soft, heavy metal. I think this looks like an interesting alternative and suggests that there may not be a need to panic about the banning of lead for hunting. They're not very cheap though....
    Forget the Impalas you've found and look at GS Custom (seriously) even the Barnes team realise that "bore-riding" "petalating" hollow points are the way forward, if you must use mono-metals. Though, frankly I think there's more danger of lead cored bullets being outlawed when people turn their backs on them and give those that govern us the notion that somehow they're bad. They're not bad. The average hunter who also smokes cigarettes probably does the "environment" more harm with his/her smoking than he/she does with his/her shooting and certainly does much more harm drivng to his/her shoot than once he/she is there.
    Last edited by Tamus; 05-02-2012 at 12:28. Reason: spellering