Which rifle

alaskagray

Thinking of geting a 308
Now should i just buy a new rifle or sell my sako 75 243 and buy a blazer with2 sets of barrells
Your thoughts would be appreciated
ATB Graham

never sell a sako! add another!

seriously though, all good with switch barrels, etc. but if you damage the rifle in any way you'll be without one altogether whilst the smith fixes it(if you only have 1 of course),,,if you have two you never get caught out completely.

I swapped my Sako 243 for a used Blaser 223 and then added a new 7-08 barrel. I love my new gun and calibres but it hasn't made me shoot or kill any better just nice to own. However the meat damage is a lot cleaner with the 7-08, less bloody jelly. Other that one fallow I have only used it on roe and muntjac, I'd like to try it on reds or a boar!

You can probably buy a second Sako foe less money than trading the 243 in and buying a new Blaser with two barrels saddle mounts etc.

That said, the Blasers are great. I am sorely tempted to dispose of a couple if Sako's and add another Blaser to the safe. Switch barrel guns are not a cheap route to two calibres.

sold my sako 75 243 for a blaser r8 in 243 now want the 308 barrel.they arn,t cheap but you get what you pay for. 3 shots same hole at 100 yards with home loads. top of with a z6i .

I bought a Blaser R8 in .243 with a view to buying a .308 barrel when funds permit. Do try a Blaser before buying, I really like the straight pull action but some people don't get on with them.atb Tim

Blaser all the way. I have had dozens of different rifles and lately a few custom builds thinking that was the only way to go, now bought a Blaser and i would never go back! They are awsome!

Last edited:
I was in the same position I sold both 75s tried a r8 243 bought it needed a 308 bought a barrel & mounts added a couple z6is very expensive move but no regrets top bit of kit

I changed to a Blaser last year, I have 243 and 6.5X55 barrels for it and just this morning my variation for ma 7X57 barrel arrived :D, I quite like the myself, an awesome bit of kit in my opinion.
John

I'm just wondering how all you (lucky) blaser owners find them in terms of reliability? A good bolt action is basically bullet proof, so can the Blaser straight pull live up to a bolt action in terms or reliability?

Have a word with danpd mate. I was on a range with him a few weeks ago while he was playing with a Blaser mechano set....

I'm just wondering how all you (lucky) blaser owners find them in terms of reliability? A good bolt action is basically bullet proof, so can the Blaser straight pull live up to a bolt action in terms or reliability?
No problem with mine - once I improved the quality of my reloads. I've never had a problem with factory ammo but being relatively new to reloading my initial efforts produced oversized rounds (to the case shoulder) which the Blaser wouldn't fire. Many Blaser owners F/L size. Out of the box accuracy is pretty faultless, even with factory ammo. atb Tim

One has to remember that a blaser doesn't kill game animals any better,it will kill your wallet better though

One has to remember that a blaser doesn't kill game animals any better,it will kill your wallet better though
It all depends what you expect from your rifle. I used to shoot with a very well worn Voere that I had bought cheaply secondhand. From time to time the grouping would become erratic with the odd shot inexplicably going slightly off target. I decided that the only option was to trade it in for something that I was confident would shoot very accurately. This has proved to have been the right decision and the standard of my rifle shooting has improved substantially as a result. atb. Tim :cool:

It all depends what you expect from your rifle. I used to shoot with a very well worn Voere that I had bought cheaply secondhand. From time to time the grouping would become erratic with the odd shot inexplicably going slightly off target. I decided that the only option was to trade it in for something that I was confident would shoot very accurately. This has proved to have been the right decision and the standard of my rifle shooting has improved substantially as a result. atb. Tim :cool:

Tim comparing a well worn rifle, in your own words that is, to a new one is hardly being fair or even really sensible regardless of make a lot of wear will be detrimental to any mecahincal items performance.

you might have been suffereing teh same ill that many target shooters fall into. their performance gets mediocre so they are persuaded or decide that their barrel is shot out so the either get a new rifle or a new barrel by one of the at the time in fashion makers and gunsmith and once they get it back their performance improves quite a bit which of course is solely laid at teh feet of the neww barrel and superior workmanship of the smith used.

When in fact what has actually happened is that they're now concentrating more and putting the effort in which they were not doing so before. How can I be sure you ask... Well consider this ............................................................. an old friend acquired several of these take off 7.62x51 barrels that were supposedly shot out so he selected one that best suited his plan cleaned the barrel thoroughly then fitted it to an old P-14 Enfield action then re-chambered it for the 300 Winchester Magnum cartridge. Using a handload that I developed when I owned the Ruger No1B in such a chambering which used the Speer 200 grain spitzer bullet that shot out barrel places five shots in about 7/8" at 100 yards and after proofing and finishing it went to Africa where it accounted for quite a few head of game and about 20 Baboons that were raiding the crops of the farm he was staying on.

So IF he original owner had cleaned the barre properly ;) and IF the target shooter had looked at himself rather than right away blame the barrel he would have saved himself a small fortune and most likely become a better shot in the long run.

An aquaintance here in Lincolnshire who belonged the the Reepham ranges brought a used Voerre in .308 which was a nice rifle if a bit light in .308 Win for a new shooter. As a result he found that his groups were not very consistant so after a short while he cam to the same conclusion as you and away it went and he brought a nice spanking new Sako 75 Finlite in .308 topped off with an equally spanking new Swaroski scope. he followed the vendors recomendation to break the barrel in religiously however his grouping was really not much better than with the old Voerre. he also found, although he was loathe to actually admit it :rolleyes:, the recoil when prone from the light weight Finlite rather punishing especilly with 165 and 180 grain bullets. His intention was to travel to Europe and take some Boar shooting which he did.

So he brought a Tikka T3 tactical which being much heavier he found more comfortable to shoot especially on the range and his grouping improved. Last i heard he was talking of swapping the Finlite in .308 for one in 7x64 or 300 Win mag in a sako 75/85 of normal weight. As I have not seen him for some months except to wave to as we passed on the road I have no idea if he followed through on this.

If he had learned his hold properly, stances, follow through and breathing the chances are that Voerre would shoot just as well as his expensive new toy. The Voerre even had a budget (Edgar bros) scope on it so it was hardly a fair comparision was it. The person who brought the Vorre it seems is very happy with it I hear and finding no problems with the grouping on target.

Tim comparing a well worn rifle, in your own words that is, to a new one is hardly being fair or even really sensible regardless of make a lot of wear will be detrimental to any mecahincal items performance.

you might have been suffereing teh same ill that many target shooters fall into. their performance gets mediocre so they are persuaded or decide that their barrel is shot out so the either get a new rifle or a new barrel by one of the at the time in fashion makers and gunsmith and once they get it back their performance improves quite a bit which of course is solely laid at teh feet of the neww barrel and superior workmanship of the smith used.

When in fact what has actually happened is that they're now concentrating more and putting the effort in which they were not doing so before. How can I be sure you ask... Well consider this ............................................................. an old friend acquired several of these take off 7.62x51 barrels that were supposedly shot out so he selected one that best suited his plan cleaned the barrel thoroughly then fitted it to an old P-14 Enfield action then re-chambered it for the 300 Winchester Magnum cartridge. Using a handload that I developed when I owned the Ruger No1B in such a chambering which used the Speer 200 grain spitzer bullet that shot out barrel places five shots in about 7/8" at 100 yards and after proofing and finishing it went to Africa where it accounted for quite a few head of game and about 20 Baboons that were raiding the crops of the farm he was staying on.

So IF he original owner had cleaned the barre properly ;) and IF the target shooter had looked at himself rather than right away blame the barrel he would have saved himself a small fortune and most likely become a better shot in the long run.

An aquaintance here in Lincolnshire who belonged the the Reepham ranges brought a used Voerre in .308 which was a nice rifle if a bit light in .308 Win for a new shooter. As a result he found that his groups were not very consistant so after a short while he cam to the same conclusion as you and away it went and he brought a nice spanking new Sako 75 Finlite in .308 topped off with an equally spanking new Swaroski scope. he followed the vendors recomendation to break the barrel in religiously however his grouping was really not much better than with the old Voerre. he also found, although he was loathe to actually admit it :rolleyes:, the recoil when prone from the light weight Finlite rather punishing especilly with 165 and 180 grain bullets. His intention was to travel to Europe and take some Boar shooting which he did.

So he brought a Tikka T3 tactical which being much heavier he found more comfortable to shoot especially on the range and his grouping improved. Last i heard he was talking of swapping the Finlite in .308 for one in 7x64 or 300 Win mag in a sako 75/85 of normal weight. As I have not seen him for some months except to wave to as we passed on the road I have no idea if he followed through on this.

If he had learned his hold properly, stances, follow through and breathing the chances are that Voerre would shoot just as well as his expensive new toy. The Voerre even had a budget (Edgar bros) scope on it so it was hardly a fair comparision was it. The person who brought the Vorre it seems is very happy with it I hear and finding no problems with the grouping on target.
In a very roundabout way I think we are both saying that you need to have confidence in your rifle & optics, the route I chose works well enough for me. Anyway I am just off out to go stalking. atb Tim :cool:

Nope I am saying that one needs to learn to hold correctly, breathe correctly and actually shoot. A lot think shooting is a natural ability ....................................................... it's not. It must be learnt and lots do so with built in faults which can be an absolute nightmare to correct once ingrained. Plus a lot really do need to learn how and when to clean a rifle barrel.

Good luck on your outing. May it be fruitful :thumb:.

I've learned the hard way that buying cheap is more expensive. If you have the cash, why not buy a quality item?

Back