Thread: Browning BLR

Browning BLR

Any body use one? i like the look of them and would be good as i am a left hander, Would look at getting one in 30.06.

I looked at them some time ago as I'm also a left-hander and there wasn't much around by way of affordable L/H bolt-action alternatives back then, but went in the end for a Savage 110, and then a Tikka 595.

Now I'd suggest opting for a Tikka T3, or -if you like Brownings- an X-Bolt, which will be more accurate and has a stock that's more suitable for scope use.

The fast-shooting BLR would make a good driven boar rifle, though, especially with a little red dot on top.

I am also a lefthander and I have and use a BLR81 in .308 win they are a very good woodland rifle but if you are shooting out past 200yrs the light barrel contour and wand like pointing will be a disadvantage.The Blr is a great rifle for Driven boar i use 180gr bullets in mine.
    Spare magazines can be hard to find on this side of the pond and my new spare 4 round mag cost me 75.00.

Bob.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Thanks for the replies chaps.

One thing I recall about them is to check the trigger pull as they cannot, as far as I am aware, be adjusted. The trigger is mounted in the lever and swings down when the lever is swung down to chamber a round and reload. I believe several have been wrecked when owners have tried improving the trigger pull. So check it's acceptable before making your mind up.

If you do a worldwide google search there a lot of info out there. I almost bought a .223 one once, but went bolt action in the end. I think they are made in Japan, but not certain on that.

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnjefferies View Post
    If you do a worldwide google search there a lot of info out there. I almost bought a .223 one once, but went bolt action in the end. I think they are made in Japan, but not certain on that.
    Yes they are of Japanese manufacture. A few in the club I belonged to had the .223 versions and one chap made an adaptor to hold M16 magazines to fit his. The intention was to try it out in practical rifle. If I remember correctly there was three with the .223 versions and the presidents hubbie brought a .308 and .243 version back for a trip to Canada. Of course that was about 15-20 years ago now.

Edit:- they also come in steel and alloy receiver versions I recall.

i know a guy with one in .223, and it is excellent, really fast loading and very accurate. although its a real pain in the back side to work on if any small repairs are needed
    i am currently on the look out for 1 in .223 so if anyone is selling, give me a shout