Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very few fox while home

Very few fox while home

Just returned to work after 19days at home had a few nights out but very very quiet on the foxes managed 1 fox one night and 2 another out of around 5-6 nights not even any eyes showing at distance.
    My last night which was on the sunday before i headed back on the tuesday was icing on the cake 1st farm we were shooting from a barn i had a small tree between me and our foxpro caller set up in a field about 100yds in front my mate bill spotted a fox emerge from the wood and skirt along the wood/field edge right behind the bloody tree i couldnt move pos and as i couldnt shoot through the tree as there was sheep behind right where the fox was and decided that was unsafe we had to let this one go.
    2nd fox we called was on a other farm coming in from our left heading straight to us but once it hit the hedges to our left it vanished ? may of smelt us and got off..we stayed put and carried on and luckily it came back about 30mins later again to my left dropping it with 50gn vmax.
    3rd fox was again on another farm a good 200yds away must of smelt us as bgan to change route and head away from us so a quick shout stopped it for that split sec to send the 50gn vmax on its way.
    4th fox was at a chicken farm where the farmer was having probs with a fox yet the night we went there we never seen any fox about..we sat on side of the hill with farm to ourbacks and called for quite a while thinking again we had been beat by this elusive fox when i spotted it over the electric fence in the other farm land where i also have perm to shoot, this fox as most do just sat there looking in our direction we waitied for 10mins watching before i decided to take the shot another at around 160yds.

So a good night to end my time at home with..we shot in total 6 fox letting one go,one of the foxes from the previous nights was big one must be one of biggest ive ever shot pic below..need get some scales and start weighing these buggers.

Well done sounds like a great night. I went out last night and never saw a set of eyes, where the hell they were I don't know. I couldn't buy a fox at the moment!

Well done! If I get the time, I'll be writing an account of last night's session later this morning.

Natural variables aside, foxing has had a massive uptake in recent years with the result that we're likely to see significant reductions in fox numbers in some areas. My advice is to manage your fox populations in the same manner as stalkers manage deer populations...and in doing so secure our future sport too. Glad to hear you made the most of your leave though, just being out is half the fun!

Managed another last night, same spot as the last one. Using the NV to spot. We did actually have one other come running in like a train to the field mouse distress call but by time we had switched to the lamp he must have got too close and spotted us so when lamp went on he was already running away. Got to the same spot that we shot the last one put same call on but had caller next to us. I picked up eyes running down the fence line at apx 200 yards (must have come in from the next field so not sure how far it was when it first heard the call but must have been well over 300+ yards. It broke from the fence line and came right at us. Told Ian where it was coming from (I was looking through NV) and got ready on the rifle. Ian put the lamp on lowest red light and it just kept coming. Ian yapped at it to stop but it wouldn’t so I decided to take the shot while it was running full tilt directly at me, its eyes were bouncing in and out of my FOV but could see the body, heard the thud, fox down. Need to spend a bit of time and get NV on the scope but so far were doing well with it.

Well done Steve. I think I've got to stop using the bigger prey sounds and switch over to the rodent sounds.

I always start with a mouse or Vole adn then try the less violent rabbit calls like the Young rabbit Distress. I know that Micky shot his last 3 also uisng the YRD call. But also mixing them u0p with the odd fox call if nothing appears seems to work too.

i think if you hadn't have shoot it the way it run in it wood run right up the barrel and give you a kiss there was no way of stopping that dog fox last nigth

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    I always start with a mouse or Vole adn then try the less violent rabbit calls like the Young rabbit Distress. I know that Micky shot his last 3 also uisng the YRD call. But also mixing them u0p with the odd fox call if nothing appears seems to work too.
    Wouldnt have been the first Fox thats crossed these lips...

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Wouldnt have been the first Fox thats crossed these lips...