Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the control of rooks

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

the control of rooks

i had a farmer ask me can rooks be shot at night ??

i had to say i don't know,

i think it may be illegal.

anyone know for sure.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I have shot a lot at night and can't find anywhere in legislation that says its ilegal.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

The relevant document is the general licence, which is the legal authority under which you can shoot what is otherwise a protected species. It is not illegal to shoot them at night. It IS however illegal to use any artificial illumination, lamp or dazzling device to shoot them. So if it's a bright night and you are shooting them silhouetted against the sky with your shotty or air rifle, that's legal (as long as the other conditions of the general licence are met) but shooting them with a rifle is a no no.

The only avian species that you can use a lamp on is feral pigeons, which can be lamped inside buildings for certain reasons. Other than that fox and rabbit are the only animals you can shoot using a lamp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    The relevant document is the general licence, which is the legal authority under which you can shoot what is otherwise a protected species. It is not illegal to shoot them at night. It IS however illegal to use any artificial illumination, lamp or dazzling device to shoot them. So if it's a bright night and you are shooting them silhouetted against the sky with your shotty or air rifle, that's legal (as long as the other conditions of the general licence are met) but shooting them with a rifle is a no no.

The only avian species that you can use a lamp on is feral pigeons, which can be lamped inside buildings for certain reasons. Other than that fox and rabbit are the only animals you can shoot using a lamp.
    cheers matt,

i thought as much but was unsure of the lamping side of it,

cheers mate

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Don't be tempted to sell Rooks for human consumption, under the terms of the General License this is only permitted for Wood Pigeon. Someone received a police caution for doing this locally and had his SGC revoked. atb Tim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Don't be tempted to sell Rooks for human consumption, under the terms of the General License this is only permitted for Wood Pigeon. Someone received a police caution for doing this locally and had his SGC revoked. atb Tim
    these will be burned on site Tim

but thank you

bob.

no law against Night Vision then!?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    no law against Night Vision then!?
    Nope!

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post

So Hares a no no then ????
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

get some bird scaring banger ropes , put them in an upturned barrel and pull it up in to the rookery on last light , this lifts the birds off their nests and chills their eggs , shoot them coming into the rookery before hand and it wont take long to reduce numbers quite heavily