the control of rooks

bobjs

i had a farmer ask me can rooks be shot at night ??

i had to say i don't know,

i think it may be illegal.

anyone know for sure.

bob.

The relevant document is the general licence, which is the legal authority under which you can shoot what is otherwise a protected species. It is not illegal to shoot them at night. It IS however illegal to use any artificial illumination, lamp or dazzling device to shoot them. So if it's a bright night and you are shooting them silhouetted against the sky with your shotty or air rifle, that's legal (as long as the other conditions of the general licence are met) but shooting them with a rifle is a no no.

The only avian species that you can use a lamp on is feral pigeons, which can be lamped inside buildings for certain reasons. Other than that fox and rabbit are the only animals you can shoot using a lamp.

The relevant document is the general licence, which is the legal authority under which you can shoot what is otherwise a protected species. It is not illegal to shoot them at night. It IS however illegal to use any artificial illumination, lamp or dazzling device to shoot them. So if it's a bright night and you are shooting them silhouetted against the sky with your shotty or air rifle, that's legal (as long as the other conditions of the general licence are met) but shooting them with a rifle is a no no.

The only avian species that you can use a lamp on is feral pigeons, which can be lamped inside buildings for certain reasons. Other than that fox and rabbit are the only animals you can shoot using a lamp.

cheers matt,

i thought as much but was unsure of the lamping side of it,

cheers mate

bob.

Don't be tempted to sell Rooks for human consumption, under the terms of the General License this is only permitted for Wood Pigeon. Someone received a police caution for doing this locally and had his SGC revoked. atb Tim

Don't be tempted to sell Rooks for human consumption, under the terms of the General License this is only permitted for Wood Pigeon. Someone received a police caution for doing this locally and had his SGC revoked. atb Tim

these will be burned on site Tim

but thank you

bob.

So Hares a no no then ????

get some bird scaring banger ropes , put them in an upturned barrel and pull it up in to the rookery on last light , this lifts the birds off their nests and chills their eggs , shoot them coming into the rookery before hand and it wont take long to reduce numbers quite heavily

build a hide on the edge of the rookery , put an eagle owl decoy on a lofting pole with a dead rook tied in its feet , they dont like that much nor do crows and magpies

these will be burned on site Tim

but thank you

bob.

I would suggest the young rooks breasts are lightly burned along with a little garlic and oil in a frying pan.
We cooked a load at one of our CZ forum meets, everybody loved them :thumb:

Neil. :)

I would suggest the young rooks breasts are lightly burned along with a little garlic and oil in a frying pan.
We cooked a load at one of our CZ forum meets, everybody loved them :thumb:

hi neil

i may give them a try at the same time ill try some grey squirrel.

bob.

hi neil

i may give them a try at the same time ill try some grey squirrel.

bob.

Go for it Bob, when we did them on the same night we had, Squirrels and Rabbits, the Rook breasts, Munti and Roe, plus all the usual sausages, burgers and black pudding.
Several gallons of scrumpy rounded the evening off a treat, can't wait for this years blow out :D

You will not get many with a shotty. I favour the bangers in a bucket idea. wWe also have a responsibility under the General Licence to try non lethal methods. A hide on the edge of the roost and morning and evening shoots should persuade them to give up the roost. When they start drilling the fields with spring crops a 17hmr is very effective. ATB David :thumb:

Fisher, there is no need to TRY non-lethal methods, only to CONSIDER them.

On the NV line, I think the legislation is less than clear on that.

2. For the purposes set out in paragraph 1 above, and subject to the terms and conditions, below, this
licence permits:

(iii) Authorised persons acting under subparagraph (2)(i) above:

(d) in relation to the killing or taking of Feral Pigeon (Columba livia) only:

i. to use any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting;

ii. to use any form of artificial lighting or any mirror or other dazzling device.

Now, whether that implies that using NV for any other species is not allowed or not is not clear, though I seem to remember that use of NV is specifically prohibited under the Wildlife and Countryside act. Could be wrong though, but if it's not prohibited, then why make specific provision for allowing it in the licence?

Link to the general licences

Last edited:
Ah, I didn't say you shouldn't try it, just that legally you don't HAVE to. Do anything that works and is within the law!

night shooting wont work , use the decoy on dusk , bangers to lift sitting birds at night , shoot branchers , decoy and cage trap fledglings . A couple of years of this and bobs your uncle

Back