working terrier

Conh

hi , i am thinking of getting a terrier for bolting foxes but i dont want to be constantly digging it out (i accept it will happen time to time) , are there any breeds that will come out of the hole when called or whistled ??

The problem with a dog that is willing to come out every time you call him is he will not be hard enough to bolt a fox, some foxes will bolt but you will leave more,I have had a dog that would come out when called but that usually meant the fox stayed where he was, I didn,t have that dog for long. I suppose a good patterdale might be what your looking for :rofl:

Last edited:
In short, there is no certain breed that will come out like that.
You might be best off with a Russell, it all depends on the mentality of the dog, or bitch.
A bitch might be more likely, I have been lucky enough to have had two that could be called out easily, both of them would bolt a fox if they could.
But you could dig to them if it would not bolt.

Another option might be to get someone to come and do your terrier work for you ?

Hope this helps.

Thats all down to training, like getting ferrets to come up to rattled keys ect . A lot is to do with how the dog is entered and how you intend to work it. I prefer to have both soft and hard dogs available in the team,
soft dogs will stand-off and bay allowing the fox to move around and often come up to see if your still there as will many young inexperienced dogs, but the more work they do and the more contact they make they tend to harden . Which is fine if you can dig. Many people prefer a hard dog which fixes the fox in place and wont leave -off until the fox is to hand.
It can be really useful to have a dog that will come away when called especially in cairns when digging may not be possible. But you need a dog to press the issue when it needs to. To my mind the worst is a dog that stands -off and bays but will niether come out or press home.

I have a working-bred Border that I use for my deer stalking. However he will be down a fox hole if he gets half a chance. Just before Christmas he got into an ancient stone lined land drain, which was only about a foot beneath the surface of an old cart road. A fox was at home but couldn't bolt as the opposite end was blocked by a stone. I did manage to call the dog out but not before he had got to grips with the fox. He emerged pouring with blood from a bite to his muzzle' and would have gone straight back for round two if I hadn't grabbed him. Vets bill £110. He mended well and is back on his day-job, finding me a Roe doe last week. I must keep the little b****r on a lead ! Recall is normally very good but I could not recommend the breed as I do not intentionally do fox work. The dog thinks differently.

The problem with a dog that is willing to come out every time you call him is he will not be hard enough to bolt a fox, some foxes will bolt but you will leave more,I have had a dog that would come out when called but that usually meant the fox stayed where he was, I didn,t have that dog for long. I suppose a good patterdale might be what your looking for :rofl:
i have 14 , their all different , the best bitch i have can be called out she can and has killed foxes , some just pile in and are in sick bay for weeks . All of them stay at their game until dug to . The best ones are the ones who go in work their fox and can be called out if nothing happens quick enough then take the dog away and stand on the earth in silence , your fox will bolt everytime , might take 20 minutes but bolt he will . These dogs can be worked every day but are very rarely found , too many dogs are done away with when a little understanding is all it takes . Never judge a dog as being good by lack of teeth or scars , that can be kennel fights .

thanx for all the help everybody , i was thinking about a patterdale but i herd that they will get stuck down the hole more often than other breeds

Taff you do talk so BS mate there are terriers that will call out and Will also go in and kill there fox i have worked a few. What you need mate is a front dog CONTACT BENHAR off this site. Training is with out doubt the key to many would walk about with there useless dogs on toilet chains trying to choke them selves to death look hard. :oops: I decent bred working terrier will do what you ask with the correct type of work introduction. Best of luck minikeeper.

ive bred them for 25 years mate , i like their style of work , what ever you get make sure it comes from tryed and tested working lines , not some bloke down the road who says he has a good dog , hunt terrier man is a good starting place . You know the best terrier everytime ? someone elses

Taff you do talk so BS mate there are terriers that will call out and Will also go in and kill there fox i have worked a few. What you need mate is a front dog CONTACT BENHAR off this site. Training is with out doubt the key to many would walk about with there useless dogs on toilet chains trying to choke them selves to death look hard. :oops: I decent bred working terrier will do what you ask with the correct type of work introduction. Best of luck minikeeper.
your right , its about handling and giving them enough work , i turn all mine on the yard at once and dont get any fights , i dont leave them unattended mind . i dont show them , dont sell them and dont care for looks , black , chocolate , rough or smooth coated all they have to do is work . Dont know where the coloured dogs got their name as ruthless killers from do you ? and what is a hard terrier ?

Back