Which lightweight stainless/synthetic .243 and why?

Mukiwa

As the title says....

I'm thinking of going down this route. I currently use a tikka t3 hunter with a pecar scope and although this is a great set up and am very pleased with it, I'm hankering for a stainless/synthetic rifle and a lighter scope.....

I'd be looking at a budget of around 500 for the rifle.

Also what lightweight 6 power scope within 250?

Answers on a postcard please......

Thanks.

Look around for a S/H Tikka T3 lite stainless/synthetic.

You know it makes sense....

(Gues what I shoot? ;))

Recently bought a Sako 75 Finnlight,T8 mod,Harriss bipod,30mmOptilok rings ,40 rounds of ammo and a load of reloading stuff for £800,didn't need the reloading gear so passed that on for £130 so the rest stands me at £630 ,well pleased.
Jase.

ONe of the sorriest things I've ever done was not snatching up a lovely left handed lightweight Weatherby in 243. Had a fluted stainless barrel and was super light.

ONe of the sorriest things I've ever done was not snatching up a lovely left handed lightweight Weatherby in 243. Had a fluted stainless barrel and was super light.

Now now Hibrion ............................................ you may console yourself who lucky you were in getting away from that one. Unless it was cheap enough to sell off quick to some unwary for a nice fat profit. Of course depending upon one morals ;).

I take it you are not a fan of Weatherby rifles, Brithunter? I have limited experience with them, but I really liked that particular rifle. The only problem was that, at the time, I didn't have the cash for a Weatherby :(

I take it you are not a fan of Weatherby rifles, Brithunter? I have limited experience with them, but I really liked that particular rifle. The only problem was that, at the time, I didn't have the cash for a Weatherby :(

No Weatherby is badge engineering at it's height. They make nothing except inflated profits. I do not like the way the company works or their ideals. Why pay more for a Howa anyway? Yhe MkV's are way over rated and are a mish match of other peoples ideas. Have shot a few and none impressed. A chap at Reepham range has a rather striking looking Weatherby MkV the beast I have seen. I believe it chambered for the plain ole .270 Winchester. Whilst Imight comment on it's looks there is no way I would want it.

If you want I pass on the little tale of my buddies Weatherby MkV all singing all dancing stainless weather warrior or some such stupid name in 30-378 Weatherby. A bigger lemon you would struggle to find. Poor old Stan got most upset when i suggest all it was good for was using as boat anchor. They did eventually get it shooting OK. I think the receiver and bolt might be the only original bits left on it. :rofl: Oh yes I recall now he had to borrow my cleaning kit as in the cold when he brought it into the tent over night it started to rust :lol:. Stephens Sako L61, Stewarts Steyr and my old BSA CF2 were fine buy Stans Weather warrior rusted.

My synthetic Weatherby Vanguard is NOT lightweight at all! It is quite accurate, well I think so as all I've ever fed it is factory Prvi :rolleyes: I can get 1" groups and get 2 of 3 shots to touch. This from a supported prone position but not bench rested. Oh and it was cheap!

So it looks like the T3 lite is coming out on top at the moment.....

However, I was invited out yesterday morning and had 4 deer for 4 shots, from 140ish to 240ish yds. Whilst cleaning them out all were perfectly heart shot. This is using a pecar 4-10x52 with a post reticule.

So as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke dont fix it!"

I am seriously thinking of going down to a fixed 6 power, as thats all i ever use, plus it would be lighter than the pecar.....

Oh I'm very confused....:confused:

within your budget: Marlin XS7 .243 + Leupold VX-R 2-7x33
a bit higher: Remington seven synthetic + Leupold VX-R 3-9x40

Back