Help - Magazine problem

Gaz

Help Please.
My good old Browning A Bolt has now decided that the magazine will not cycle a new round cleanly. When bolting another round into the breach they are all jamming. The bullet head does get pushed forward and partway into the breach, but the back of the bullet doesn't seem to get lifted up as the bolt moves forward. This problem is now marking the heads and has caused me not to get reloaded in time for a second shot :eek:. Do i need to try and find a new magazine or has anyone got any suggestions as to a fix.

Regards Gaz

Help Please.
My good old Browning A Bolt has now decided that the magazine will not cycle a new round cleanly. When bolting another round into the breach they are all jamming. The bullet head does get pushed forward and partway into the breach, but the back of the bullet doesn't seem to get lifted up as the bolt moves forward. This problem is now marking the heads and has caused me not to get reloaded in time for a second shot :eek:. Do i need to try and find a new magazine or has anyone got any suggestions as to a fix.
Regards Gaz

<rant mode on>
Can we try and get the terminology right? The 'bullet head' is just a bullet. The 'back of the bullet' is the cartridge case.
<rant mode off>

Have you switched to another brand or ammunition, or changed your choice of bullet? Are you using hollow points, as these can sometimes have feed problems? Have you altered the overall cartridge length?

Have you had the magazine apart recently? If so, have you refitted the spring backwards?

Have you dropped the magazine onto the ground at any time? Inspect the magazine feed lips, are they symmetrical or is one bent? Is the magazine follower intact? Does the following move up and down within the magazine smoothly?

-JMS

Very helpful 177landy ...................................... most helpful indeed :rolleyes:.

Now Gaz from your post I am thinking your not very experienced with this stuff, sorry if you are, but your post gives the impression your not. So May I suggest you toddle along to your favourite shop and let them have a look at it. If you hand load making up a few dummy cartridges with cases sized and bullets seated but primer pockets empty would be helpful and safer.

You problem may be one of several things:-

1) Accidental damage tot eh feed lips, or dmage from misuse, either way it needs sorting.

2) Wear to the afore mentioned feed lips of the magazine.

3) Crud/muck build up stopping magazine follower lifting as it's meant to

4) weak or broken spring

5) Muck/crud stopping magazine sitting home in receiver properly

6) Rifle incorrectly re-assembled after a stripping for cleaning etc.

Defining which if any of these conditions prevail in your case is very difficult to tell over the web so I really do think you need the assistance of someone more experienced than you are in this case.

Thanks for the replies guys.
JMS906 ---- Sorry didn't get the tech terms correct. :oops: I think its called the floor plate that doesn't move up and down freely or evenly.

177landy ----- A WHAT instead :lol: How many GRAINS you putting in them home loads now :rofl:

Brithunter ---- I'll take it to someone in the know. :thumb:

ATB Gaz

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOHHHH you now how to hurt me with my home loads :p:p
Loaded some the other day without the primmer,powder all over the efin place :D:D
See you soon.

The Floor plate is the embossed bit in this photo:-

14067377.jpg

Parker-Hale used a hinged floor plate.

The part that the cartridges sit upon is know as the follower or platform.

The Floor plate is the embossed bit in this photo:-

14067377.jpg

Parker-Hale used a hinged floor plate.

The part that the cartridges sit upon is know as the follower or platform.
Brithunter : Thanks for the info.
177landy : R U snorting the powder :rofl: C U soon

Gaz

Back