No Roe but a few foxes....

Was up nice and early saterday morning to crack on with the roe cull. Up in the tower by 0615hrs and a rather cold -9oc. Saw nothing for the first couple of hours and the toes were getting a little cold by then. Just after 0830 i glassed a nice roe buck working up a hedge but apart from that no other roe were seen. Just about to leave about 1000hrs when a couple of crows landed in one of the fields, 6.5x55 was put down and the 22-250 came out and hit the spot at just under 200yds. Photo with the camera on timer, barrel is not normaly on the rest before anyone says something ;)

East Hampshire-20120204-00486.jpg

Just getting my stuff together when out the corner of my eye i catch some movement, charlie was trotting up the field towards the crow i just shot. Rifle back up, quick squeek to stop her, as she looked stright at me the round hit home. Turned round to put the rifle down and there was another, about 210yrds to my right, rifle back up and down went the 2nd. All 3 kills within 5 mins and both foxes within 20secs.

009.jpg

Wish I had a seat like that, normally end up sitting up a tree.

Very nice shooting. :)

I sat out Monday morning for almost as long watching a Pheasant feeder for Munties. I had to pack up to do some work :cuckoo: at just gone nine, but decided to check my zero on a patch of mud before I left. Sadly the Squirrel I had been admiring for the last two hours got his head in the way of the shot.

The gun was still on zero and the squirrel didn't need a follow up, surprising :evil:.

Thanks, the tower is built on top of 4 telegraph poles that are bedded 4ft in solid chalk. It does have a couple of swival chairs so you can easily shoot all the way round and some carpet to soften the noise of the wood. Lovely spot on a T junction of a small valley.

Last edited:
why do you have to swap rifles for a 200y shot? ah the swede strikes again.......or not as the case may be:stir:

The 22-250 had been out a few times over the last week without firing a shot, like to check zero every few trips. The crow population needs thining on the farm so use this crow to check. I had packed the 6.5 away by the time i saw the first fox so the 22-250 had another check for zero, then another a few moments later......

Great shooting

Well done on the shots but ?...........how good does that high seat and land look.......you lucky man

I wonder if anybody has a better high seat than that, if so please post some pictures :thumb:
Good result in the end, well done.

sounds like it did not turn out so bad after all great shooting and nice looking high seat set up you got there.

Back