Thread: New Quad Advice Required

New Quad Advice Required

I am thinking of buying a quad bike. It wouldn't be used much and wouldn't be doing any heavy work. I would ideally like to be able to use it on the road as well. My budget would be around 1,000 to 1,500. Does anybody have any suggestions, is my budget realistic? Also what costs would be involved in using it on the road, MOT, tax, etc.

I think you might struggle to find a half decent road legal quad at that price that isn't one of the cheap Chinese quadzilla type things. Also you might want to consider having a shot of a road legal quad first and getting an idea of just how death defying they are on the public highway. They are fine for bimbling down a country track but really that's all. Cornering at any speed is no mean feat.

I have a pretty old quad but if it wasn't for the fact I fix it myself it would have been pretty expensive up till now.

Do you want one as a toy or to fetch deer of the hill and out of fields?

It would be a toy, as I don't have any great use for it, but it would need to be road legal to get from one piece of land to another. Other than that I wouldn't intend using it on the road.

If it is going to spend any amount of time on the road there is only one real choice.
    Kawasaki 300, the two wheel drive model with a rear diff, it makes all the difference to the handling.
    It also means it turns tighter off road, and doesn't cut the ground up.
    I bought a Kawasaki KVF 360 4 years ago and it has been great, only thing that has failed is the battery.
    But I really wish I had bought the 300 2x4, I drive the 360 in 2x4 mode nearly all the time, the only time it has needed
    4x4 is when towing on very soft ground, and most of the time it is towing tandem trailers, gross weight for the two is well over the half ton supposed limit.
    The most it has towed is well over a ton, and still 2x4 mode was enough, I really have no idea what sort of ground condition would call for full time 4x4.

Neil.

Have to agree with aliS I think you will struggle badly to find a reasonable second hand quad for 1000 to 1500 these days. You could try Fieldens in Suffolk they often have second hand quality quads with a 3 month warranty for sale. Most of their bikes are Honda which are about the best as a workhorse in my opinion. I bought mine second hand from them about 6 to 7 years ago, and it cost me 4000. Its a Honda 450 and despite all the hard work it has done in those years, the old girl still aint let me down yet!

I have a KVF 360 wonderful machine, part mountain goat mine spends most of it's time in 4 wheel drive though, great work horse. Having said that you will not really go wrong with any of the major quad manufacturers,.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    If it is going to spend any amount of time on the road there is only one real choice.
    Kawasaki 300, the two wheel drive model with a rear diff, it makes all the difference to the handling.
    It also means it turns tighter off road, and doesn't cut the ground up.
    I bought a Kawasaki KVF 360 4 years ago and it has been great, only thing that has failed is the battery.
    But I really wish I had bought the 300 2x4, I drive the 360 in 2x4 mode nearly all the time, the only time it has needed
    4x4 is when towing on very soft ground, and most of the time it is towing tandem trailers, gross weight for the two is well over the half ton supposed limit.
    The most it has towed is well over a ton, and still 2x4 mode was enough, I really have no idea what sort of ground condition would call for full time 4x4.

Neil.
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

A quad, on the road !! brrrrr,, just had a shiver doon ma spine!! what a nightmare!!.

if you find a cheap quad at a bargain ,down the pub or meet at a service station then its probably NICKED beware i have had 3 stolen ! a real pain when you rely on it everyday i would cut the hands off the basta=ds .i would have a honda everytime mate

There are plenty of good second hand quads about that are genuine and with in your price range
    The biggest problem is knowing where to look or seizing the opportunities as they arise
    I paid 1100 for mine which came with a shooting rail and lamp, it was a stolen recovered which is genuine
    I think from memory there hav been quite a few gone through the classifieds on this actuall site that would of fell into your budget and been worth the money
    Gerald watts had a half decent one for sale
    Worth a pm for further enquiries
    Don't rush in and bide your time for the right quads to come along then offer your best price
    Deals are there to be had if you hav cash waiting

generally the cheaper they are the worse they are ,normally you would expect to have to pay about 2000+vat for a decent one older ones are available but they tend to have had a very hard life try to buy a well known brand avoid cheap Chinese as they tend to break before you use them ,anything to cheap tends to be stolen, at least a dealer will give you some form of after-sales back up also if you go for a road legal Ag spec atv it will be free tax and MOT exempt also so is cheap to run cheers Keith
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser