Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moa

Moa

Can someone check my calculations for MOA i have no idea if I'm correct, as I tried to simplify the formula and the info I found on the web had me scratching my head

So for 300 yds I have a bullet drop of 19" and my scope has 8 clicks for 1 MOA

a/ 1/8x3=0.375 (1 click at 300yds=0.375")

b/ no. of clicks x 0.375 = drop

no.of clicks x 0.375 = 19

no. of clicks = 50

c/ MOA x No.of clicks for 1 MOA = Total Clicks

MOA x 8 = 50

MOA = 6.25

This might help. I used it to draw up a balistic table for my .17http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx
    Last edited by Geordie_3; 07-02-2012 at 12:03.

That is a great link/resource thank you Geordie_3

I thought it was good. I cut and pasted into exel to make up what I wanted. I drew up a range and wind chart. I'll use it again when I get another rifle. I don't have a chrono but used the Velocity off the box.

Hi Simon,

Think of 1 MOA as being an inch at 100 yards (it isn't, but it's near as makes no practical difference), 2 inches at 200 yards, 3 inches at 300 yards and so on. If you were an inch low at 100 yards, say, then that would mean you need to come up 1 MOA, so on your scope that means 8 clicks. If you were an inch low at 200yards, that would only be half a minute low, so you only need come up 4 clicks. At 300 yards, the same inch low would require an adjustment of 2.6 clicks (8 divided by 3) *per inch* (though obviously you can't have two-thirds of a click). Nevertheless, based on this all you need do to find out how many clicks you need is multiply how many inches (")you need to go up or down by the number of clicks per inch (CPI), so at 300 yards for your scope that's 2.6CPIx19"=50.666 clicks, so I agree wit your maths. Whether you decide to actually use 50 clicks or 51, is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_3 View Post
    I thought it was good. I cut and pasted into exel to make up what I wanted. I drew up a range and wind chart. I'll use it again when I get another rifle. I don't have a chrono but used the Velocity off the box.
    Here in the boonies of Montana we are a little less precise: MOA at 300 is about 3". Nineteen inches divided by three is 6 point-something MOA. Six times 8 (1/8 MOA clicks) is 48. Add a click or two for good measure.

Unless you have the exact velocity from your gun and the ballistic coefficient of the bullet, you're only in the rough anyhow, and this is about as close as you need to get.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Hi Simon,

Think of 1 MOA as being an inch at 100 yards (it isn't, but it's near as makes no practical difference), 2 inches at 200 yards, 3 inches at 300 yards and so on. If you were an inch low at 100 yards, say, then that would mean you need to come up 1 MOA, so on your scope that means 8 clicks. If you were an inch low at 200yards, that would only be half a minute low, so you only need come up 4 clicks. At 300 yards, the same inch low would require an adjustment of 2.6 clicks (8 divided by 3) *per inch* (though obviously you can't have two-thirds of a click). Nevertheless, based on this all you need do to find out how many clicks you need is multiply how many inches (")you need to go up or down by the number of clicks per inch (CPI), so at 300 yards for your scope that's 2.6CPIx19"=50.666 clicks, so I agree wit your maths. Whether you decide to actually use 50 clicks or 51, is up to you.
    50.66 is what I got, but for some reason I rounded it down...but thanks for the sanity check
    I also found the following website http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi which allows you to select ammo from their library, and that was near to what I calculated (dont know if they use 1/8 or 1/4 for scope).

Quote Originally Posted by simon t View Post
    http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi which allows you to select ammo from their library, and that was near to what I calculated (dont know if they use 1/8 or 1/4 for scope).
    You can select the correct output to match your scope in the last fields on the page where you input your data

i like your user name,best ive seen so far is sir lampalot