The end of an era......... Florence Green.

basil

Distinguished Member
r-FLORENCE-GREEN-large570.jpg

The world's last surviving First World War veteran has died - marking the end of an era in British history.
Florence Green passed away in her sleep at a care home in Norfolk just two weeks before her 111th birthday.
The great-grandmother signed up to the Women's Royal Air Force (WRAF) 93 years ago in September 1918, when she was aged just 17.
She was the last surviving person to have seen active service in WWI following the death of British-born sailor Claude Choules in Australia last year.
During the First World War she worked at Narborough Airfield and RAF Marham, Norfolk, as an Officer's Mess steward.
Mrs Green, who was born in London, lived with her daughter May, 90, in King's Lynn, Norfolk, but had moved into Briar House care home shortly before Christmas where she died on Saturday.
Her proud family paid tribute to the veteran, describing her as "a great woman".
May said: "She so nearly made it to her 111th birthday. It is very sad. We are grateful for all the nice tributes."
Mrs Green's younger daughter June Evetts, from Oundle, Northants., 76, said: "I'm very proud of her and she was very proud of the recognition she received."
Florence spent her war days working ''all hours'' serving officers breakfast, lunch and dinner and would often spend time wandering the base simply ''admiring the pilots''.
Before her death she said: ''I enjoyed my time in the WRAF. There were plenty of people at the airfields where I worked and they were all very good company.
''I would work every hour God sent but I had dozens of friends on the base and we had a great deal of fun in our spare time. In many ways I had the time of my life.
''I met dozens of pilots and would go on dates. I had the opportunity to go up in one of the planes but I was scared of flying.
''It was a lovely experience and I'm very proud.''
Her story came to light after Andrew Holmes, a British correspondent for the US-based Gerontology Research Group, traced her name using the National Archive.

What a wonderful lady - condolences to her family but they've obviously got some great memories. As a 17 year old girl in 1918, she must have been very determined to be allowed to join the WRAF - it would be another ten years before she would be allowed to vote...

Knots

RIP Florence, condolences to her family. Just think of the changes she has seen in her lifetime.

Bless her and how sad for her family.
A wonderful life and great service to her country and our lads.

Fraser

She will be missed by many members of the family met her on many occasions she served with my grand father at maraham, she had many stories to tell and as said its the end of an era if it was not for her and many others like her we would most certainly be speaking another language at this very moment, she hated what this country has become what was once a great country which we faught to save is a shell of it's former self and is slipping away from us with every year that passes by she used to say ,and the sad thing is I suppose I have to agree with her as I no many others do our country is in tatters and not just because of the recession either....... God bless Florence sleep well xxx

Thank you Florence, we cannot imagine what sacrifices you all made, take care.

Stories like this bring a lump to my throat, sap that I am!

Veterans and serving personell alike do not often get the recognition they so justly deserve. It is irrelevant whether we believe in the reasons as being just for whatever war is currently being fought. What is important is that these people sign up and are expected to act on orders regardless of whether they are likely to survive that action or not. And tragically some do not survive.

All very brave people and the family of this remarkable lady should be very proud...

How sad though, that she saw the country turning into what it is today after the sacrifices those around her made...

Last edited:
She had a great innings. Plenty of WW2 veterans had already passed away.
Worries me the yuf of today are out of touch with those that did their part to keep Britain free (even if it isn't a perfect place).

Veterans and serving personell alike do not often get the recognition they so justly deserve. It is irrelevant whether we believe in the reasons as being just for whatever war is currently being fought. What is important is that these people sign up and are expected to act on orders regardless of whether they are likely to survive that action or not. And tragically some do not survive.

I don't think story is sad- it's uplifting. A Veteran and grandmother passing away at an old age in her sleep. Sounds good to me.

I remember some journalists doing the rounds during G1 asking "Why are you fighting this unjust war?" The best answer we could come up with is that we were told to be there and we were fighting for each other and no-one else.

Back