Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it Illegal to keep my bolt with my rifle?

Is it Illegal to keep my bolt with my rifle?

Is it a legal requirement to keep the bolt of a rifle in a seperate locked container ie your ammunition safe or is it just good practice?

cheers George

No , you can leave your bolt and mag in your rifle , but unload it , you dont need a seperate ammunition safe either

No requirement in law to do so. I do with my rimfires but take the bolts out of the centrefires because I am short of space in the cabinet!

I do take the bolt out if I have to leave the rifle in the car unattended.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    No , you can leave your bolt and mag in your rifle , but unload it , you dont need a seperate ammunition safe either
    +1 atb Tim

SD Regular
    Practice in Leicestershire Constabulary when I started in 1976 was that there MUST be two cabinets. One for the rifle and handguns and a second one for the ammunition (and rifle bolts).

A practice that I would not disagree with.

At that time, of course, there was NO requirement regarding shot guns and my father, and my brother and I just kept them in their motor cases (well oiled I might add) in the gun room.

Along with the cartridges for them.

PART 2 – SECTIONS 1 AND 2 FIREARMS (FA1968)

2.1 The security of firearms, section 1 ammunition and shotguns within a dwelling can in most
    cases be achieved using a cabinet designed for this purpose. New cabinets should conform to the
    requirements of BS7558 (see Annex C for examples on points of construction). The cabinet
    should be fixed to the structure and located to frustrate attack or identification by persons visiting
    the premises. BS7558 was introduced in 1992 but many older cabinets will be built to perfectly
    satisfactory standards and, if satisfactory, need not be replaced.

2.2 As an additional level of security, ammunition and easily removable component parts – such
    as rifle bolts etc - may be stored separately from the firearms they fit.
    This could be either by use
    of a detached storage container fitted elsewhere in the dwelling, or one built into or onto the
    firearms cabinet.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publica...ok?view=Binary

maximus otter

Thanks guys, that's a relief as I have been keeping rifle and bolt together ever since getting to farm ,climbing huge stack of bales then finding out no bolt!
    I didn't relise this applied to ammo as well.

Enfieldspares what happens if you have a lever action, as you know no bolt or mag.

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    Thanks guys, that's a relief as I have been keeping rifle and bolt together ever since getting to farm ,climbing huge stack of bales then finding out no bolt!
    I didn't relise this applied to ammo as well.
    Been there to, rifles now go in the cabinet complete

SD Regular
    Enfieldspares what happens if you have a lever action, as you know no bolt or mag.
    Well strictly speaking ALL repeating lever action rifles actually do have a bolt....but I understand totally your point.

And yes, with such as the Winchester 94 and indeed with my pistols and revolvers they were stored assembled and complete.

I think that where it is easy to separate the parts then it should be done. In fact even if you were REQUIRED to keep a bolt action rifle and its bolt in the same cabinet I'd still dismount the bolt.

Why?

Because I believe that allowing the free circulation of air in the barrel....having it effectively an open at bot ends tube...reduces rust. It also means that it is easier to pick up the rifle and check the bore condition.