Home Office Guidance to the Police on Firearms Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a 'standalone' recommendation from ACPO FELWG to police licensing departments regarding the updating of the condition only.

Details are on the BASC website but FYI here it is:

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) Firearms and Explosives Licensing Working Group (FELWG) has issued advice that supports Chapter 13.14 & 13.22 of the Home Office guidance. It advised police forces to allow larger calibre rifles to be used to take lesser species i.e. where the primary reason for possession e.g. deer stalking was established, all lesser species such as foxes and pests could then be shot.

This practice has been commonplace in Scotland for some time, and has not endangered public safety in any way. In June 2009 ACPO FELWG again advised forces of a new condition that can be used in place of the standard condition in Appendix 3 of the Home Office guidance. -

The (rifle/sound moderator/firearms/ammunition) shall be used for shooting (Named Principal Quarry Species) and any other lawful quarry, on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated, and for zeroing on ranges, over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot. (Delete italics where appropriate)

This identifies the primary reason for use e.g. deer/fox control, then allows “other lawful quarry”. Certificate holders are invited to apply for this condition from their local licensing departments.

BTW. Not all firearms licensing departments appear to be aware of it!

Mine reads:
the Rifle,Sound Moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting foxes and deer[ in my case deer are the primary
reason] and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

The holder of this certificate may possess,purchase or acquire expanding ammunition,or the missiles of such ammunition, in the calibres authorised by this certificate and may use such ammunition only in connection with the lawful shooting of deer and the shooting of vermin or, in the course of carrying on activities in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife

Thanks, I've attached it to the top post now so it won't matter if the links go out of date!

Alex

Dis anyone else notice this under the Scottish Seasons.... Page 80...
ROE DEER
Buck 21 October to 31 March inclusive.Doe 1 April to 20 October inclusive. Surely some mistake!!!

Doh,thats what happens when you try and read document like that on your 3rd glass of red:doh:. I'll go to bed now...

Only bit I can see is new is....

Unannounced Home Visits
19.11. Where it is judged necessary, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm, the police may undertake an unannounced home visit to check the security of a certificate holder’s firearms and shotguns. It is not expected that the police will undertake an unannounced home visit at an unsocial hour unless there is a justified and specific requirement to do so on the grounds of crime prevention or public safety concerns and the police judge that this action is both justified and proportionate.
19.12 It is recognised that there are no new powers of entry for police or police staff when conducting home visits. To mitigate any misunderstanding on the part of the certificate holder the police must provide a clear and reasoned explanation to the certificate holder at the time of the visit.

No surprises there then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back