Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The law, can I or not?

The law, can I or not?

I live in a town centre in a semi detached house. I have 3 chickens in my back garden, the garden has a 6 foot fence around it. Over the last couple of weeks when letting out the dog in the garden for her to do her buisness before bed at around 11 o clock she has started to bark on a couple of occasions for no reason which is very unlike her.
    I was today talking to a neighber and he told me he had seen a fox last night at my fence around 11.10pm. This would explain why the dog had barked over the last couple of weeks around this time of night.

My question is, can I shoot this fox in a built up area if I feel it safe to take the shot, would protecting my livestock(chickens) be a good enough reason. I have a fully silenced o/u 20g or could possibly do the job with a rifle if I left the gate open and baited an area so the positioning of the shot was safe. I do realise the fox would have to be on my land, but I feel it wont be long before it manages to get in and get my chickens if it's been lurking about for the last couple of weeks. I do have an open ticket on my fac, but would prefer to use the silenced 20g.

Are you within 50ft of the centre of a public highway? Then NO. Could your actions frighten or endanger neighbours? Probably!
    You would be seriously risking your tickets i reckon. Difficult to asses though without seeing your ground. Surely a secure 6 foot fence is good enough to keep charlie out?
    If in doubt, consult your FLO before doing anything! There are other methods than shooting which will be more acceptable given the circumstances.
    MS

if you can bait it you can cage trap it , i wouldnt try shooting it as they may argue why you didnt use deterents or non lethal methods if something goes wrong

This has got hassle written all over it. Borrow a trap, capture foxy, take him away to your permision and then shoot him. No hassle from neighbours or anybody else.

i thought that the whole 50' (or however far it is) from a highway was out of the window and as it was changed to something like 'not causing distress to joe public...' Im not sure what it is so just asking..

To be fair, either way i would be thinking is it worth risking my FAC or standing out from the crowd with the FLD/FLO. A live catch trap would be more 'acceptable' i suppose. Not really answering your question but personally i wouldnt be rushing to jeopardise my FAC.

How do the pest controllers do it? Do they shoot in built up areas? Next question to follow on from it.. if your having other animals causing damage or distress to your property or chickens, can you shoot them? ie cats?

According to my FLO regarding the 50" from a highway is not actually in the firearms act and is a law that's in the highways act, therefor if it's safe to do so you may shoot within 50" of a public highway. He told me this when he inspected my parents land and we were discussing the safest way to shoot a field that backs onto a clinic, he recommended the safest shooting position would be sat on the wall that backed onto a clinic about 20" away from a main road.
    I will ring and check with them but thought I would get other opinions first as it seems each police force seem to make the law up as they go along.
    If I was to put a live trap down I would only end up trapping cats and dogs.

How do the pest controllers do it? ?[/QUOTE]Sound moderated .22 rf

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    This has got hassle written all over it. Borrow a trap, capture foxy, take him away to your permision and then shoot him. No hassle from neighbours or anybody else.
    I agree, in urban areas it is the only sensible way, not difficult either.
    It's accuracy that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    How do the pest controllers do it? ?
    Sound moderated .22 rf[/QUOTE]

This would be the quietest option of shooting it, but the best way would be the 20g and then I wouldn't have to worry about ricachas.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    i thought that the whole 50' (or however far it is) from a highway was out of the window and as it was changed to something like 'not causing distress to joe public...' Im not sure what it is so just asking..

To be fair, either way i would be thinking is it worth risking my FAC or standing out from the crowd with the FLD/FLO. A live catch trap would be more 'acceptable' i suppose. Not really answering your question but personally i wouldnt be rushing to jeopardise my FAC.

How do the pest controllers do it? Do they shoot in built up areas? Next question to follow on from it.. if your having other animals causing damage or distress to your property or chickens, can you shoot them? ie cats?
    feral cats can be killed , domestic cats are someones property and you are open for criminal damage if you kill one