Shooting across (over the top of) common land

Cug

My permision is L shaped and surrounded by common land. The best view I have of where the deer enter the wood is from the little leg of the L shape across to the big leg of the L.....However this looks over 10-20m of common land. Would I be committing an offence if I shot 'over' the few meters of common land? I suspect yes, but would appreciate your opinions.

Regards

Where do people think these questions up from, you own the air space above your home, do you think you can charge virgin and ba for flying through it. The main aspect would be safety has you have no control over that land. As to the answer to the original question you would have to ask a lawyer.

Technically the projectile must not leave your boundary, but how could it ever be proved where the shot was taken from?

As I though.....I'll have another look at where I can get a similar view without rounds exiting my boundaries!!

What about the law that says you can shoot on a right of way, or public road if it crosses your permission, wouldn`t this be the same ?

What about the law that says you can shoot on a right of way, or public road if it crosses your permission, wouldn`t this be the same ?
If memory serves me correct the public right of way will normally be owned the landowner over whose land it crosses and so will the shooting rights
Common land will be owned by someone and also so will be the shooting rights
You will need to obtain permission of the person who owns the shooting rights if you want to shoot on or over common land, or along those lines

If the term "Common Land" is used correctly it is owned by no one. It is as it says common land that can be accessed by anyone - used to be used for peasants to graze their beasts - before the Enclosure Acts stole most of it for the Landed Gentry/MPs of the time (nothing changes). But there is very little true common land about nowadays. And, nope i have no idea about the question of shooting across it. If in doubt don't, is my advice, better safe than sorry

If the term "Common Land" is used correctly it is owned by no one. It is as it says common land that can be accessed by anyone - used to be used for peasants to graze their beasts - before the Enclosure Acts stole most of it for the Landed Gentry/MPs of the time (nothing changes). But there is very little true common land about nowadays. And, nope i have no idea about the question of shooting across it. If in doubt don't, is my advice, better safe than sorry

Common land is owned by someone. The peasants had "rights of common" such as venville and pannage. The commoners rights were attached to particular properties, and still are. It's all closely regulated.
Common rights change hands with the property they're attached to, usually a neighbouring farm, but sometimes just a cottage or even a derelict. Areas of common are usually managed by a commoners association, consisting of all those with rights, together with conservation organisations and some representative of the estate.
The commoners wouldn't have sporting rights - that would belong to they estate.

Common land is owned by someone. The peasants had "rights of common" such as venville and pannage. The commoners rights were attached to particular properties, and still are. It's all closely regulated.
Common rights change hands with the property they're attached to, usually a neighbouring farm, but sometimes just a cottage or even a derelict. Areas of common are usually managed by a commoners association, consisting of all those with rights, together with conservation organisations and some representative of the estate.
The commoners wouldn't have sporting rights - that would belong to they estate.

Well you live and learn ! :doh: But I don't want anyone having rights over my venville and pannage :eek:

Technically AFAIK it is still 'armed trespass', legally your bullet has to stay within your boundary, and you are responsible if it strays in the same way as if you were there with it.

The highway law, only applies if the road/byway/right of way is on 'your' land.

Hope this helps

I shoot hundreds of acres which adjoin common land and in some places have simular problems when it comes to stalking , the common in question has a no missile or projectile policy which in turn outlaws any shooting activity unless you have commoners rights . Im fortunate as my parents own a small holding on the common which in turn has rights . It may be worth getting a copy of the byelaws attached to the common in question as sometimes there is a get out of jail card within them . best of luck

Back