Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Shoot Vehicle

Cheap Shoot Vehicle

Hello All

So far the advice I have had from you guys has been brilliant. So here is the next silly question.

I need a very cheap shooting wagon.

The usual suspects are on the cards and range from an old Landy to a Hilux pick-up.

The original idea was that it could simply be left at one of the permissions and so tax and mot would be no issue, but the reality is we will need something that we can squeeze through an MOT and we will have to tax it as it will have to be driven from permission to permission along public roads.

It needs to have the ability to either shoot from the rear pick up base or out of a rear sunroof etc.
    It needs to be adequate off road to get across muddy fields, golf courses etc (but not likely to be doing any MAJOR off roading.
    It needs to be cheapish on parts and a sensible size engine so insurance can be kept limited.
    We neeed to achieve this on a vehicle budget of sub 1000!!!!

Any suggestions?

Tom

get a rag top like a this if i could insure it i would have it nice and light http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...07nx?logcode=p

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    get a rag top like a this if i could insure it i would have it nice and light
    Funnily enough I'd already spotted that one and sort of had it on the short list! By the way, your post code is coming up on the link!

As above nothing wrong with the Vitara. Should get a good one for 1k.

Every part can be bought cheap and they are very capable off road.

..or a Suzuki SJ413 - plenty with decent MOTs on Ebay. Very capable 4x4s, cheap to run and insure, pretty basic to fix - the Jap' Samurai version has a separate roof on the cab so the driver doesn't have to suffer the same privations as the shooter in cold weather. They also have the advantage of being light, so don't mess up the ground like a heavier 4x4.

and if your hand mixer breaks you just reach out the kitchen window and grap the car!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    and if your hand mixer breaks you just reach out the kitchen window and grap the car!
    They're actually one of the best offroaders there is.

M

I am running a 1998 Ford Maverick short wheel base on road tyres. I run it as my main vehicle covering a 26 mile round trip to work every day and shooting on a weekend. I have also been green laning in the peaks. Grand total in 12 months is an MOT. It cost me 1000. Is quieter than a Landy doesn't break down it better on fuel. It doesn't have a cam belt to worry about and generally just works.

I could spend more on a vehicle but in reality don't want to or need to.

The car in front is a Hi lux
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    I am running a 1998 Ford Maverick short wheel base on road tyres. I run it as my main vehicle covering a 26 mile round trip to work every day and shooting on a weekend. I have also been green laning in the peaks. Grand total in 12 months is an MOT. It cost me 1000. Is quieter than a Landy doesn't break down it better on fuel. It doesn't have a cam belt to worry about and generally just works.

I could spend more on a vehicle but in reality don't want to or need to.
    I had the same model Nissan Terrano for 18 months.

Excellent vehicle but you could not get reasonably priced body panels for it.

Had the sills patched once but when they needed more of the same I sold it on.
    Apparently Nissan never sold the mould patterns on so the only replacement sill was the complete side panel at 500 a side.

Shame as I really miss it. Loads of room and the mirror height was ideal for resting on.