Latest Knife blanks....sharp!

Peter Eaton

Just posting a few knife blanks that I have made recently. 01 carbon steel, extremely sharp and tough! Though still need a clean up as working marker still evident in the pictures.Two different finishes...I like the forged look.I have set up a link later in this thread to show how sharp they are and am alos thinking of doing a 'destruction test' video too in order to show how the blade copes with abuse.

Peter

Last edited:
great blades i got one a while back, will try to get a pic up of the finished article.

Thanks for the kind words and would be great to see a photo of what your knife looks like now you have finished it and if you have any feed back that would help in either designing a new blade shape,positive and negative points ect please PM me as it helps when designing a new blade etc.

Will the steel rust if put in contact with blood, unless patina coated?

A very good question which I will address. 01 carbon blades are an extremely tough blade which hold an edge well. It is true that 01 carbon steel, due to its make up, will indeed rust if neglected. As stalkers, we all will religiously wipe blood and water off our rifles as we all know it can lead to rusting of the barrel. Some people forget their hardworking knife and sling it into the bottom of their bag, to be washed at a later date. Personally, I feel this is a bad habit and if we were truthful, poor practice. All that needs to be done to prevent a 01 carbon blade from rusting is to rinse under the tap and dry. If the knife won't be used for a while, then a light coating of oil would be recommended.

It should be remembered that some of the finest blades are made from height carbon steel such as cut throat razors and even samurai swords which all must be treated with care. You will also see modern knives such as rays mears is also made from 01 carbon.

About the patina, the 01 carbon steel will,over time develop a natural patina though this in itself will not prevent rusting. There are other solutions such as making knives from stainless steel but the cheaper stainless steels tend to roll on the edge when in use.

I can purchase height grade stainless steel blanks but the cost is roughly double of 01 carbon.

Pete, how do you sharpen them to an edge like that?
The forged finish looks particularly good to me.
:old:

Pete, how do you sharpen them to an edge like that?
The forged finish looks particularly good to me.
:old:

Hi 'Old Man'

The edge is so sharp as it has been ground to a perfect angle, that one happens to be a 21 degree Scandi grind, I grind the following normally, 40 grit ..then 80,120,180,240,400,600,1000,1600 grit. I then take the blade to the buffer and sharpen once again on the buffing wheel with green rouge, sometime I the polish to an even finer edge with a strop and Autosol. My buddy who taught me how to do knives get them even sharper! The secret (if there was one) is to have a correctly ground knife of a good quality steel in the first place and to keep all the angles true when sharpening. I would advocate either learning how to use an oil stone ( though use with water and washing up Liquid as better than oil I feel) or a DMT type sharpener,thing is they are pricey....Even though I sell knives there are two that are cracking , the Mora type,I would use the stainless type or Opinel for the pocket, hell I am doing myself out of sales lol..

Pete

I intend to upload some vids onto the net soon for the guys on the site as the amount of guys that find it difficult to sharpen knives or get ripped off with junk can be seen on previous threads, hopefully I will have them done soon or a link to my site when I set it up.

How much are they? Made a couple of handles for knives and would like to do another!

The smaller one looks great.

The larger one looks very good too, but on design, I would really like the rise for the front finger guard to be higher overall and then steeper angle back to the blade side(if you see what I mean). The last knife I made was a very similar shape to this, which means you are limited on handle size, and often feels your hand is close to slipping forward.

Last edited:
How much are they? Made a couple of handles for knives and would like to do another!

The smaller one looks great.

The larger one looks very good too, but on design, I would really like the rise for the front finger guard to be higher overall and then steeper angle back to the blade side(if you see what I mean). The last knife I made was a very similar shape to this, which means you are limited on handle size, and often feels your hand is close to slipping forward.

I know what you mean but alot of my mates use that design and they still have their fingers :D and have never complained, I like the smaller design myself , the one with the forged look, cracking in use.

How long does it take you to get them to that level of sharp, from say your average knife sharp ? (if that makes sense)
Also how many hours to complete one ?

Very impressed.

How long does it take you to get them to that level of sharp, from say your average knife sharp ? (if that makes sense)
Also how many hours to complete one ?

Very impressed.

Hi Nick

Good question and it is different from you normal knife. With your normal knife it depends on the grind that has been put on it, or if someone has attempted to sharpen it and ruined the edge, sonetimes it a bitch to get the edge back. With the method I use it depends on if I am forging a knife from scratch or a pre cut blank, ie a chunk of metel that has the shape of a blade but thats it.Also the gringing of the edge is only a tiny part of the process then on top of that there is the honing and polishing.

Back