Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collimeter vs laser bore sight for checking zero

Collimeter vs laser bore sight for checking zero

Gentlemen,

Your views please - had an issue recently with rifle loosing zero after it took a knock. Am thinking of getting a collimeter so that I can check zero before I go out stalking. Appreciate a round down the range is the best way, but often this is not practical to do, as I live i town and driving to my stalking grounds, and don't want to let a shot off just to test things as will spook all the deer.

I have used a collimeter and seems like a useful tool for a) helping with initial zero, but then using as a reference to check that the rifle is still zeroed after travelling, taking a knock, or even with a detacheable scope, just to confrim things have gone back correctly.

There also laser bore sighters - are these any good, or as accurate as a collimeter - strikes me that they are cheap, useful for getting onto a piece of paper, but not much more.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Gentlemen,

Your views please - had an issue recently with rifle loosing zero after it took a knock. Am thinking of getting a collimeter so that I can check zero before I go out stalking. Appreciate a round down the range is the best way, but often this is not practical to do, as I live i town and driving to my stalking grounds, and don't want to let a shot off just to test things as will spook all the deer.

I have used a collimeter and seems like a useful tool for a) helping with initial zero, but then using as a reference to check that the rifle is still zeroed after travelling, taking a knock, or even with a detacheable scope, just to confrim things have gone back correctly.

There also laser bore sighters - are these any good, or as accurate as a collimeter - strikes me that they are cheap, useful for getting onto a piece of paper, but not much more.

Many thanks
    I've never used a laser bore sight but I'd go with a collimeter. We used to use them on the AW50F back in the day (i'm not actually that old), since they only had something like 30 of these rifles in service we had to share so every one had to remember were they where on the collimeter. I still remember mine D11, but I also remember which side of the line it ever so slightly lay on. We never had any issues even if it was 6 months between being on the range.

How hard a knock did it take and how much was it out by? either way it's certainly not a bad idea and is one I had considered.

You should never shoot at any living thing until you are possitive laser bore sighters and collimeters only give you a rough idea where the shot is going to hit ( no recoil no barrel ossilation no man on the trigger) I did a 243 with a collimeter a while ago and it was shooting a foot high and 2 inches to the right.

Dont shoot at a deer until you have test fired it.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Look down the bore with the bolt removed and match the centre of aim with the centre of the scope image... i have used both collminator and laser bore sighters and they are miles out.

I have used a laser boresighter but in my experience it was only good for checking that scope was still ok. I had to use the same target which was at 40yds. With my scope zeroed at 100yds and shooting absolutely spot on, I has the 40yd target at the house and if my crosshairs was on the bull the boresighter was several inches off the bull. I could check that it was always on the same "off bull" mark.
    Only good I suppose though as my rifle was used at home and not transported or subject to getting a knock.

tried both and as has been said already only give you a ballpark position regarding zero.I'm afraid that there is only one way, especially if you intend to shoot any quarry, and that is back to the range.a.t.b.Richard

Out of the hundreds of "zeroed" with a bore sighter of some sort rifles I've had at the range there hasn't been one that I would have risked a shot at an animal with. Only today I had a collimator zeroed rifle at the range, it was shooting 40cm right and 10cm low, as an aside the dealer had attached a 1000 Kahles scope to a new Browning rifle with air rifle rings worth 20, the windage adjustment ran out after 3 clicks! I turned the mounts around, zeroed it and told him to take it back to the dealer and demand some proper rings, apologies, ranting about dealers. Don't rely on gadgets, go to the range.

HME

I can see what Heym is trying to say. If he re zero's his rifle on the range and then uses a colminator and makes a record of where on the grid the cross hairs are, then if the rifle takes a knock later, he can fit the colminator and check if the cross hairs are still in the same position on the grid. If not the rifle has lost zero.

Now, this is not the way I like to do things, but I can see his thinking. My way of thinking is that if for any reason you doubt the accuracy of the rifle, get down the range and put a few off. Even if it turns out to be still on, it will restore your confidence and make sure you can put a round in the right place.

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Look down the bore with the bolt removed and match the centre of aim with the centre of the scope image... i have used both collminator and laser bore sighters and they are miles out.
    This is absolutely my experience, waste of money even for checking a zero they are not accurate enough, get you on the paper at 50 yards but bore sighting will do that.

If you have knock your scope so it has moved its zero I would look towards new mounts or better scope, I dropped a rifle with S&B scope on from the top of a bunk bed accidently it landed on the scope yet zero never moved. I had a Swarvo on a Tikka for 8 years and the zero never moved once.

ATB

Tahr

I see some of guys come into the local trading post who buy a rifle/scope set up and ask the clerk mounting the scope to "zero it at 200 yards",or some similar request. Even after being told that the bore-sighting is just a rough set to get them on paper up close, they will insist that it's "probably good enough" for deer. It has gotten so prevalent that they now no longer offer the service unless they know the shooter, and know they will do the requisite range work afterwards.

In short, there is no substitute for putting the rifle on paper.~Muir