Thread: FAC Application - accompanying letter?

FAC Application - accompanying letter?

Hi there,
    Sorry if this is going over old ground, but couldn't see what i wanted in the search.
    I'm going to be applying for my first FAC (for a stalking rifle) later this summer. By the time I apply I will have done a Pre-DSC1 course, been on 3 or 4 stalks (and will have at least 2 or 3 booked in the future) and will be booked onto my DSC1 for later on in the summer. I'm hoping that this level of experience will allow me to get the FAC.
    I remember hearing somewhere that sending an accompanying letter with details of your experience etc is a great way to add weight to your application? Has anyone done this - if so is there a recommended form that this letter might take?
    Thanks for the help
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Hi there,
    Sorry if this is going over old ground, but couldn't see what i wanted in the search.
    I'm going to be applying for my first FAC (for a stalking rifle) later this summer. By the time I apply I will have done a Pre-DSC1 course, been on 3 or 4 stalks (and will have at least 2 or 3 booked in the future) and will be booked onto my DSC1 for later on in the summer. I'm hoping that this level of experience will allow me to get the FAC.
    I remember hearing somewhere that sending an accompanying letter with details of your experience etc is a great way to add weight to your application? Has anyone done this - if so is there a recommended form that this letter might take?
    Thanks for the help
    Mike
    Hi Mike when i first applied for a FAC i added a covering letter and have done for every variation since be sure to keep it brief and to the point , use the letter to explain the following
    Cal required -------- 243 / 308 etc
    Good reason ------ Suitable ground , booked paid stalking
    Experience ------- Number of previous stalks / cull record
    References ------- Letters from previous guides
    Booking ------ For DSC1

only send copys of any paperwork and the best of luck with your application

A letter will undoubtably help, but I my thoughts on reading your post that you might be better advised to ask the licensing bureau what their policy is WRT deer cal rifles to understand clearly what criteria they are asking you to satisfy so they will issue you with authority to acquire a deer cal rifle instead of booking a pre DSC1 course and then a DSC1 course and then paid stalks.
    You might save some money and time.
    All you need is good reason, apparently.
    The issue is that each force formulates its own firearms policy and there is no national policy.

Not sure if you are aware of this advice from BASC for filling in FAC forms.
    Document Summary

Thanks for the replies guys. I've taken the info on the supporting letter on board and have started roughing something out already (although i'll not be putting in the application for a few months)
    Also have taken what you said on-board jack. Have contacted FEO and requested guidence on the criteria they apply to applications (hopefully this will clarify the situation for me).

always send a letter.
    meet them if possible
    never hurts