Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rifle .300

New rifle .300

Once upon a time I bought a Sako 75 stainless in .270 WSM. I have wanted a .30 cal for a while and decided to have it done on the short magnum.

Here is the finished rifle back from Neil Mckillop;

Attachment 12523 Attachment 12524 Attachment 12525 Attachment 12526 Attachment 12527 Attachment 12528 Attachment 12529
    The rifle is a .300wsm, sako 75 stainless action, Pacnor heavy sporter fluted barrel 24" 1-10 twist, Mcmillan Sako stock Devcon and pillar bedded.

I'm really pleased with how it came out. Neil made the bolt knob after I sent him some images of some Surgeon ones I liked and he jewelled the bolt whichI think finishes it off nicely. One thing I am still waiting for is a replacement bolt shroud without the keylock, Had to order one through a mate in Sweden as GMK were not very helpful.

I have to say thank you to Neil for his patience and the quality of his work, the target speaks for itself. The last picture is the load I settled on, Next to the 5p piece is a 3 shot group shot at 120yds with 165grain Accubonds and 55grains of Varget. As it's a dedicated hunting rifle I think I'll stick with that for the time being and see how I go.

I would also like to mention a very kind hearted chap in Norfolk who knows what it is to have a new toy and be dying to get out with it. Thanks to him I was able to get a bunch of loads together and get to try them out on his range so, David I owe you one mate; Thank you.

I hope to be able to go hunting with it this weekend, fingers crossed!

All the best
    Moses
    Last edited by moses; 09-02-2012 at 09:40.

Very nice rifle fella, I see Neil has worked his magic yet again, ;-) (im looking forward to having a play)

Rgds

Swede

lovely rig there! How well does it feed? What sort of velocity do you think your getting with the 55gn of varget?

ATB,

FF

Feeds flawlessly from the mag Chap. That's a medium load of Varget should be around 2850-2950 fps.

Atb
    Moses

neil does do a nice rifle he is doing one for a customer of mine now.

Nice one Moses. I have to say the 300wsm makes a lot of sense in a rifle like that.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Nice one Moses. I have to say the 300wsm makes a lot of sense in a rifle like that.
    I didn't want a long action belted magnum or any other long action 30 cal, what I was after was a short action with a bit more ooomph than a .308 and that's what I reckon got. Shooting it really puts a smile on my face.

Atb
    Moses

A bloke that I used to know vaguely got one of the first .300 wsm's in this country. He only had one box of 20 factory rounds and no reloading dies. He put a scope on it, bore sighted it then four of us each shot a five round group. Those 20 rounds all went into one ragged hole at 100m. I was quite impressed! Glyn.

Moses
    Neil is one of the very best out there.
    Your choice of Varget in the 300 WSM intrigues me, certainly the accuracy speaks for itself and i intend no criticism, i am just curious as to what steered you to use Varget when convention would suggest something like 4350 or 4831.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Moses
    Neil is one of the very best out there.
    Your choice of Varget in the 300 WSM intrigues me, certainly the accuracy speaks for itself and i intend no criticism, i am just curious as to what steered you to use Varget when convention would suggest something like 4350 or 4831.

Yorkie.
    It came down to what was available to me and what I had data for.

I had thought that 4350 was going to work well and had 3 tubs on standby but, I loaded rounds of each, 4350, 414 and Varget and went to try them.

Varget produced the best results and, you use less of it. This was 55 grains with 57 being about max every other powder was around 63-65 grains, I looked into this and it seems there are a few people using it in short magnums with good results.

I certainly intend to try other bullet makes, weights and powders in the future but, for a hunting load that works; can't fault it.

ATB
    Moses
    Last edited by moses; 09-02-2012 at 09:42.